timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Become a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you probably dread waking up in the morning. I consider myself to be the definition of a night owl, which is why I used to hate the mornings so much. However, a few months ago I started waking up at an earlier time and it really has been so beneficial. Not only has it given me a healthier mindset to start the day, but it also gives me more time to accomplish what I need to do. Here are some of the tricks I have been using to get me through my mornings:

1. Have a consistent sleep schedule

This won’t happen overnight, especially if you’re used to hitting the hay at 2am. A good tip is to try going to bed 15 minutes earlier each night, so you can gradually adjust to the change.

2. Prepare the night before

Take 10 minutes before you go to sleep to set aside things you’ll need the next day, such as an outfit and books for class. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself in the morning!

3. Choose the right alarm tone

The sound of your alarm affects how you wake up in the morning. Whichever one you choose should calmly wake you up, so use one that has a gentle beginning and slowly turns into a catchier beat. A perfect example would be On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons.

4. Avoid the snooze button

Don’t fall for the temptation! The snooze button does more harm than it does good. Put your alarm on the other side of the room, so you’ll actually have to get up rather than staying in bed longer.

5. Think positively when you wake up

Start your day off by thinking a positive thought or something you may be excited for that day. This puts you in a good mood and starts your day off on the right foot!

6. Lemon water

Have a cup of warm water with lemon right after you wake up. This has so many benefits including help with your immune system, digestion and liver. Plus, it helps wake you up in the morning, so why wouldn’t you try it?!

7. Have a healthy breakfast

The reason why you always hear people say “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is because it’s true! And by breakfast, I don’t mean a donut and cup of coffee. Try some toast, eggs and a smoothie. A healthy breakfast will give you energy for the rest of the day.

Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?