kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Stress Management Tips All College Students Need to Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The feeling of stress unites college students. Stress emerges from a variety of factors and comes in many types. For collegiates like us, a main source of stress stems from academic performance. Often times, we have “too much to do, but too little time.” This type of stress is not the only kind we experience. Stress can be caused by problems with friendships or situations out of our control. Anticipatory stress is being stressed about an event in the future, it can even be stress about being more stressed!

We all handle the different types of stress we are experiencing in our own way. For some of us, we repress the stress for as long as we can, until we reach a breaking point. For others, we wear our stress visibly, and let it control us. However we manage, we look for ways to cope. Coping mechanisms for stress are usually thought to be unhealthy. For example, many students will find themselves turning to drugs or alcohol to take their mind off the stress they are facing. Others might deprive themselves of sleep or eat improperly in order to deal with the stress. However, there are healthy ways to deal with stress! Here are a few tips:

1. Lists, lists, lists

Write things down! It is hard to keep track of everything you have to do, especially if it’s all in your head. Stress can be caused by having to remember to do certain things. Writing things down eliminates this stress. Try keeping a planner for your school work, a calendar for events, and a to-do list for other important items. When you complete something, gain satisfaction in crossing it off. It feels good to be productive!

2. Maximize free time

When we are really stressed out, we cut out our free time. However, it is important for our health that we take a step back and do something for ourselves. Pick an activity you like to do in your free time and find a way to make this activity more than just a fun thing to do. For instance, say you want to watch TV. But, you also wanted to make it to the gym at some point. Maximize your time while watching TV at the gym! Studying while at the gym is also an option! Think in the shower. Singing in the shower is fun, but if you are stressed, turn the music off and think. Plan out how you will spend the rest of your day or mentally review for a test or quiz.

Here’s another idea: if you want to take a nap but have a presentation the next day, record yourself saying some notes and listen to these while you nap. Your body might be sleeping but your brain is always working!

3 Avoid misery

We have all heard the saying, “Misery loves company.” One of the worst things you can do to yourself when feeling stressed is surround yourself with other stressed-out complainers. When you are feeling down, study with a couple of your optimistic friends. They will help you feel better about your current situation. By resorting to people who are equally or more stressed than you, you will all end up intensifying your own stress. Surrounding yourself with people who will bring you up will help to decrease the stress you feel.

4. Take some time for yourself

Go for a walk, meditate, or pray. These activities can last as long or as short as you please. Separating yourself from others, even if it is just for 10 minutes, can help you stay centered and remember what is important to you. Maybe you will discover that you are stressed about something that is not pressing or relevant, and this is a wonderful feeling!

I am a sophmore marketing & philosophy double-major at The University of Scranton. I work as the social media assistant at the Center for Career Development on campus. I am very involved in a variety of clubs on campus and a member of the Women's Rugby team. Go Royals!
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so