This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

The new year is here, giving everyone an excuse to change their lives. From eating healthier to working out everyday, most people make resolutions to make it a better year than the last. 

One of my new years resolution was to live consciously.

Living consciously can mean a lot of things for different people. In general, it’s about focusing on what’s really important in your life and getting rid of unnecessary stresses. Some of the benefits of conscious living are self-awareness, better decision making, and a reduction in stress over time. 

To me, conscious living is about being aware. Being aware of how every decision you make affects your health and the environment. Being aware of the things you purchase, the things you eat, how you treat others and yourself. 

Here are a few ways to live more conscious lifestyle: 

1. Buy Foods That Are Organic And Sustainable 

Since going vegan almost two years ago my health and impact on the environment has become very important to me. From weight-loss to clearer skin, eating a plant-based diet has changed my life for the better. 

According to Dr. Michael Gregor, M.D’s best selling book, “How Not To Die”, a diet high in carbs and lower in saturated fats is proven to prevent the 15 leading causes of death in America, including heart disease and breast cancer. He recommends a diet consisting of beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, with a smaller intake of meat and dairy products. 

But even if you decide to not go vegan, being aware of the origins of your food will drastically change your grocery list. Although organic produce can more expensive, the benefits it has on your well-being and the planet makes it worth the price. 

Source: ordinaryvegan.net

2.   Buy Toiletries and Cleaning Appliances That Are Cruelty-Free   

It’s easy to forget how much waste we create every single day. Plastic bags, utensils, and menstrual products end up in our oceans and other ecosystems, polluting the environment and killing animals. 

Recently I’ve started using reusable and biodegradable menstrual pads and tampons. Just some of the brands that create these products include LunaPads, Diva Cups, and SoftCups. Although they may be more expensive initially, they save you more money in the long run (because you won’t have to keep buying regular pads or tampons every month). The environment and wallet will thank you. 

Standard cleaning appliances, like surface cleaners, are made of toxic chemicals that are bad for our health and can make our pets sick. Brands like Mrs. Meyer’s, Seventh Generation, and Dr. Bronner’s create laundry detergents, dish soaps, shampoos and body washes that keep you clean without hurting you in the long run. 

Source: everythingspeachy.co.uk

3.    Buy Things When You NEED Them, NOT When You Want Them

Have you ever gone on crazy shopping sprees at Home Goods or Urban Outfitters and bought things that you never end up using? Don’t worry, I’ve been there. 

It’s because you were buying things that you wanted in that moment, and not things you truly needed. 

By getting rid of things I didn’t need, I was not only decluttering my living space, but also my life. In a strange way, it helped me clear my head. 

I donated many of my things to GoodWill and local thrift stores. 

In that moment, I realized that giving to others was more satisfying than shopping till I drop. Who would’ve thought? 

4.    Listen To Your Body

When you’re hungry, eat. 

When you’re tired, sleep. 

It’s that simple. 

Your body isn’t trying to trick you. It wants what’s best for you. 

Your intuition will never fail you. 

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.