Eat, Pray, Run: The Path to Health Consciousness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

courtesty of: quickememe.com

Getting fit won’t happen while you’re scarfing down Chipotle burritos during your daily Netflix binge. It won’t happen from having sex either. If you think waiting tables is a workout, then go ahead and toss that thinking because I’ll bet my left boob you ate somebody’s messed up entree on the clock.

Unfortunately, it isn’t all that easy. You have to set aside a workout time more than two times a week, every week … for the rest of your life. Not only that, but it’s important you get your nutrition up to par or else your results will be minimal.

I know, I know, this sounds less than thrilling. But the more time you spend whining about your physical health, that’s time that could be spent whining on your way to the gym. What I’m saying is YOU CAN DO IT.

Step 1: Create a consistent workout time that works best with your schedule (and remain loyal to it).

If you have class at 11 a.m., get your ass to the gym at 8:30. After your workout, go home, shower, get ready, eat something healthy, and then head to class. The trick is to allocate enough time that makes you feel allowed to accomplish something before class. If you feel rushed, you’ll be less likely to make it happen. Give yourself ample time and try to make that time consistent throughout your week.

Step 2: Go to the gym.

Seriously, get your ass to the gym despite how much you don’t want to. It’s usually the days you loathe going that make for the best days to go. Once you’re finished, you’ll feel that much better. The trick is to get out of bed. Don’t think about it, just go!

Step 3:  Design a workout program that works for YOU.

If you can work out three days a week, you’re solid. If you have the time to push for four or even five, by all means do so. My work/school schedule conflicts a little with that so I’ve had to cut back my gym time, but I always make it a point to go at least three times a week. And it doesn’t even have to be an intense workout. For example, I’ll warm up with the stair master for a few minutes. Then I’ll do three sets of 10 dumbbell presses, back crunches, leg lifts, squats, lunges, crunches, planks, bent over rows, then back on the stair master to cool off. It’s roughly a 30 minute workout, and doing that every week is fantastic for you. Working out is not just something you can get results from and then quit. You have to incorporate staying active into your life.

Step 4: Nutrition.

The more you work out, the more you’ll want to take care of yourself. This includes incorporating healthier foods into your diet. Working out is roughly 25% of it. The other 75% is what you put into your body. If you’re going to eat terribly, do it in the morning. That way your body has all day (of being active) to burn it off. Another important modification is switching to water. I’ll swear by it! I lost about ten pounds in just a few weeks by drinking nothing but water. This also excludes fruit juice. Unless you’re making your own juice by juicing, most fruit juices are loaded with sugar. Beware. If you drink coffee, try switching to green tea instead. It has the caffeine you crave as well as fat burning properties. Nutrition is something you’ll get better with over time. As you slowly incorporate good things you’ll start to find less use for the junk food.

So there are a few solid tips to get you started on the path to health consciousness. Your body will appreciate what you’re doing for it and so will your mind. The key is to remain mindful as well as determined. Your health is the most important thing you possess, so be loyal to it and treat your body right!