6 Things You Need in Your College Dorm/Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

There’s just something about coming home to a place you love. It’s peaceful, comforting, and tranquil in a way. Or at least it should be. Although we’re all pretty much broke college students, we don’t have to live like it. Make your dorm/apartment happy and spruce it up a bit! Here are 6 things you absolutely need in you college dorm/apartment.

1. Hanging Lights

What’s more exciting than repurposing Christmas decorations? Hanging lights add a sort of calm ambience to any room. It’s easy to do and totally transforms a room. And here’s a plus: fluorescent lights are awful and you’ll never have to turn them on again.

2. Candles

Who doesn’t love decorating with candles? We all could use a bit of aromatherapy in our lives. They make the place smell good, are inexpensive, and can be found just about anywhere. They come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and could be easily turned into a DIY project. Candles are the perfect way to add a hint of decor without over doing it.  

3. Cork Board

As seen on every fashion blogger’s Pinterest, cork boards are apparently the new, cool way to stay organized. Not to mention, they can also be used as inspiration boards, too. Pin up daily homework reminders or use it another way to display fun polaroids and special memories.

4. DIY Picture Hanging

We all have a stash of pictures and absolutely nothing to do with them. Have a little fun hanging your pictures up using DIY materials like clothes pins. Or you can simply tape your photos to the wall and use decorative tape as the frame. Do some research and get creative!

5.  Decorative Throw Pillows

Common area looking a little dull? Adding in decorative throw pillows instantly adds color and personality to any dorm/apartment. Find super cute cheap ones at a Marshall’s, Ross, or Target. Or if you’re willing to splurge a bit more, shop for throw pillows at Ikea, Anthropologie, or Urban Outfitters.

6. Wireless Speakers

Perfect for weekend nights entertaining guests or Sunday mornings cleaning after a crazy weekend. Wireless speakers are an absolute must have for your musical needs. You won’t have to worry about any annoying cords, just connect to Bluetooth and you’re good to go! 

Maiya is a 19-year-old Sophomore from Miami, Florida currently studying Fashion Marketing & Management at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). With a heavy love for all things creative and fashionable, Maiya focuses on creative art direction and editorial design. In addition to studying Fashion Marketing, Maiya loves to model, travel, read, and workout!