Top Five Ways to Help Ease Circular Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Circular thinking is one of the worst parts of general anxiety, depending on who you ask. This is when the end of one anxious thought leads right back to another, trapping you in a cyclone of worried behavior. It prevents you from getting anything done, and can keep you awake at night worrying over things you can’t control. It’s common for college students, especially in high–anxiety inducing periods of school, like the introductory periods where everything is starting at once, or exams. So we’ve put together five ways of mentally extracting yourself from this rut to help you start the new year strong.

Image courtesy of IVeronicaWalsh.

1. Call a good friend.

Calling mom or dad can sometimes just lead to more anxiety, but your BFF Jill? She knows right where you are, and can distract you with lovely thoughts of Chris Pratt. Your best friend understands your anxiety — probably because she feels the same way  and knows how to stop your bad thought cycle.

2. Watch a comedy.

From Modern Family to SNL or even a more ‘brainiac’ show that you might like, becoming immersed in a fictional family’s life is a good way to take a short reprieve from circular thinking. A lot of jokes, whether one-liners or running gags, are cues to take the mind off of stressors.

3. Exercise.     

While this can be one of the most annoying practices, and really be something that makes you feel awful, a Zumba class or running on the treadmill is something that redirects your mind. Instead of thinking about getting all your supplies for that drawing class or wondering if your textbooks will show up on time, you’ll be listening to the Zumba music and watching the numbers on the treadmill while jamming out to your IPOD.

4. Do something competitive with friends.

Whether it’s bowling at a bowling lane or video games at Dave and Busters, getting a bit competitive is a sure fire way to take your mind out of the dangerous circle.

5. Stand up comedy.

Comedy shows can last for two hours, and there’s a whole selection of hilarious comedy acts that can be streamed from Netflix. Knowing your preferred genre of comedy does help this work better, but either way, two hours of jokes is a great way to keep yourself out of the circle and mentally unwind.

A lot of times, a bit of anxiety can be good. It helps us remember that something needs to be done, and gives us the kick we need to get started. But circular thinking can often prevent us from doing anything. Just remember there is only so much anxiety a person can take.

Cole Seidner is a writing major at SCAD Atlanta who was raised in Georgia and Texas together. She recently interned at Big Think, and had a few articles published there. She is looking forward to graduate and getting the chance to write more.