This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

As many as 10 percent of college women suffer from an eating disorder. Having been through one myself, and knowing others that have also gone through similar experiences, I wanted to share what illnesses like anorexia nervosa and bulimia look like on a day-to-day basis. Though the media glorifies a near skeletal figure, the process of achieving a slim body is strenuous. At its worst, it can even be fatal.

1. Unhealthy Food Binges.

Image courtesy of Alexia Zarate.

After days of intense calorie restriction, it’s not uncommon to eat an immense amount of food in one sitting. This sudden food binge is often enough to cause severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Because food becomes a luxury instead of a necessity, it really does feel like a case of ‘get it while you can.’ These binges are usually followed by purges or days of starvation to try and make up for the calories consumed.

2. Body Dysmorphia Brainwashing from the Media. 

Image courtesy of Alexia Zarate.

It’s only human to get off track. So just to make sure you remember that you look disgusting and you shouldn’t be eating that pasta for dinner, it’s good to expose yourself to as much print and on-screen media as possible. 

3. Dangerous Diet Pills.

Image courtesy of Alexia Zarate.

I’ve done my share of diet pills. Everything from over-the-counter fat burners to prescription appetite suppressants and HCG shots that cost $130 a pop. These can become catalysts for more serious weight control methods like full blown starvation.

4. Sacrifice Your Body to the Altar.

Image courtesy of Alexia Zarate.

This. This is your bible. 

5. Mental Health Destruction.

Image courtesy of Alexia Zarate.

Besides the physical harms of eating disorders, sufferers will understand what I mean by this picture. The stress put on our bodies from these obsessions lead to depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and isolation among other mental health issues. 

Hopefully these images and grim outlook have made you more aware of the damaging sacrifices eating disorders have on people. If you or a loved one are suffering from an eating disorder, please reach out to a medical health care professional or learn more at www.nationaleatingdisorders.org

An artist that chooses to express myself through writing and intense yoga poses. Right now I'm a junior at SCAD Atlanta and, as a result, a writer for HC SCAD. I am admittedly nervous to begin the new year because I'm going to delve into the waves of new students and try to find interesting people to interview. Here's hoping there's some crazy, fresh faces. I love looking at the stars and finding constellations in my free time and reading up on unsolved murder cases when I need a light read. I'm a little eccentric at times (and mostly brooding during the other hours) but I like to believe all the best people are.