bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I’m Feelin’ Myself: Improve Your Life With Positive Self Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

You know that saying “You’re your own worst critic”? Well, it just might be true. As soon as something we planned doesn’t go our way, the self-name calling begins. How many times have you self-sabotaged an amazing opportunity by talking yourself out of it?

In the theme of health and fitness for National Women’s Health and Fitness Day (September 26) , here are tips to improve your life with positive self-talk.

• Journaling: Remember that 90’s cartoon “Doug” at the end of every day Doug would write in his journal? Now it’s your turn. After you’ve done a recap of the day’s events, make a note of how each incident made you feel. Did you do something or react in a way you didn’t like? It’s okay. Write some words of encouragement and make a personal goal to do better. Simply put, write it down.

• Rake it up, rake it up: This is a fun one. It can also be expensive…it all depends on your words. Every time you say something negative or unflattering about yourself, you have put money into a jar. It’s kind of like a “swear jar”. Words are expensive; use them wisely. If nothing else, you’ll have money for a rainy day.

• Use Words of Affirmation: Yes, this is one of the five love languages, but it can be applied to everyone. Any time a bad or negative thought about yourself comes to mind, change it into something positive. “I am capable”. “I am enough”. “I am beautiful”.

• Be Gentle With Yourself: It’s totally cliche, but you have to love yourself first (before anyone else will). You don’t need a reason to love yourself other than you deserve it. Everyone is capable of experiencing unconditional and wonderful; it all starts with you.

• Seek Guidance From a Pro: If this is something you’re struggling with and want to improve, seek professional help. I’m not ashamed to say that I’ve been to therapy. It’s actually been very useful and I do honestly feel like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders. There’s no guarantee that things will get better instantly or your life will drastically change, but it’s an option. SCAD offers counseling and support services covered by your student fees btw.

With the pressures of (social) media and this unfair thought of having to be perfect, it’s not always easy to think positively. You have the ability to change that by being mindful of what you say to yourself.  If you gain nothing else from this article, just know that there’s someone rooting for you. Alright now. You go girl!

Mia McDonald

SCAD ATL '20

I am Mia (same letters rearranged). I'm a part-time Grammarian, Pro Black, Christian, Feminist, Ambivert, Empath, and Lover of Life. If I'm not in class or working, I can usually be found napping or binge watching something on Netflix, lol.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World