This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

If you are anything like me, the wellness exercise trends get annoying.

It is almost as though with an influx of different ways to get your ‘dream bod;’ I find myself even more lost. This goes along with a lot of the ‘gym Tok’ and ‘clean girl aesthetics that we all see circling the internet, but how do you know which ones work and which ones do not?

In a time of so many forms of wellness, how do we know what is just marketing and what is good for us?

It started with Chloe Ting over the pandemic, then it moved on to the gym girl revenge. I know there is an ever-revolving cycle of what you should be doing. But I feel as though no one illuminates the slow and mindful practices into these trends.

After having my bouts with almost every one of the exercise trends on the internet, I found that none of them was 100% what I was looking for. Sure, I took what I like from some of these such as different weight lifting techniques, Chloe Ting’s focus on abdominal workouts, and the treadmill trend to lose calories efficiently but I found pilates and yoga to be my saving grace.

Of course, now the wellness trends have caught up to promote yoga and pilates now. But this could be the start of something actually promoting wellness!

Both yoga and pilates are intertwined together in a stable and efficient way of moving your body with results that will show in the long run. They are different practices, yes, but they have some of each other in them, pilates is a more toned way of yoga and yoga is a breakdown of pilates.

As of right now, I only do at home pilates classes because there are not many inexpensive classes near me. But I would still say that they are a great form of exercise either in a class or not. You can just look up a routine on Youtube or Pinterest.

I am going strong on a week-long streak of doing 30 to 40 minutes of yoga every day, and I feel the difference.

I think that this combination of pilates and yoga on a daily basis beats any wellness trend and is the most inexpensive option available to us. It also has great results and provides overall awareness for your well-being, not just your physical self.

Mindful, intentional practices will always benefit more than any wellness trend that will last a short while, and this is why I recommend yoga and pilates.

Howdy babes, my name is Hadley Thompson and I am super happy to be here. I am from Niagara Falls, NY, and am ready to move where the Buffalo winters aren't so strong, brrrrr. I am a senior political science and journalism double major at St. Bonaventure University. I still remember my first semester writing for HC, I was the only new inductee at our annual interest meeting! It is so awesome to have witnessed this group of insightful and wonderful minds grow throughout the years. As I finish up my time here at Bonas, I hope to combine all of my hobbies and interests as I step into this next chapter of my life. Because I love things like reading, studying politics, environmental studies, chatting it up, writing, and such, I am applying to law school, eek! I will have to keep you updated. I am super excited for this semester amidst all of the changes, senior feelings, and, of course, to be a part of HC @ SBU! :)