This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Obviously, I am a college student, who faces the many, sometimes inevitable, aspects of being a college student: stress, anxiety, homesickness, and even the occasional loneliness.

It’s hard to cope sometimes. I fully get it. We are all just GIRLS trying to SURVIVE!

The one thing I could not recommend more for almost any situation? My main coping mechanism you ask? WALKING!!!

Walking for even just 10-15 minutes is scientifically proven to boost those happy chemicals and feel-good endorphins! Was I a subject of any of the studies about the wonders of walking? No. But, I can confirm they are not lying.

I am constantly encouraging my friends to go for a walk, with me or on their own.

Hit the treadmill, walk the track, find a nature trail on a sunny day or even just walk instead of driving to that one class you have on the other side of campus.

I like using the term “Walk it out” rather than “Walk it off”, partly because I am a burnt out recovering high school athlete (the girls that get it..get it.) and also because telling someone to “Walk it off” bears this nasty tone of simply just forgetting about the issue and getting over it.

Instead I say “Walk it out girl!” Or “Let’s go walk it out!”. In my mind, when you “walk it out” you spend the whole time at least somewhat acknowledging whatever was bothering you, and are actively doing something to feel better about it. As you walk, you can feel the stress, sadness, fear, whatever it may be flowing out of you!

Here is a few ways you can make walking something you can get into:

Find a walking buddy!

Does walking alone feel scary? Find a walking buddy! I have mine, and definitely love the times we spend walking laps and talking about everything under the sun. Meeting with her to walk is something I look forward to every day.

Build a feel good playlist

Whatever kind of music you love, compile it into a playlist that you can jam to while you walk around. The time flies by when you have some great tunes in your ears! Also… the world is your oyster… you can do whatever you want, whether that’s pretending you’re strutting your stuff on a catwalk with music blaring or filming a scene of coming of age movie. Let your imagination flow.

Tune into a podcast

There are podcasts out there for EVERYTHING. True crime, fashion, medicine, books and millions more. Turn your biggest hobby, favorite show, or any special interest into a listening habit and find a podcast about it! Gaining knowledge while also getting exercise while also boosting your spirits!? YES PLEASE.

One thing I would not recommend is true crime podcasts on an outdoors walk… I made that mistake once and then felt like I was going to be kidnapped by an axe murderer the whole way home…

New Clothes? Heck yes.

If you are like me and love adding something new to your wardrobe, getting into walking is great for this! Buying a cute athletic set, getting cute new leggings or even treating yourself to that Lululemon item you have been wanting are all bonuses of getting into athletic activities!

I go to the gym and do full body workouts, which is why I have expanded my closet a lot, and can say that you really don’t need to buy new clothes for walking, BUT for those of you like me who love shopping it is just a plus you can attach to it.

Sweatcoin

Okay, so, maybe you really don’t feel motivated to walk AT ALL.

This app might change your mind. Sweatcoin has been downloaded on my phone for years. Essentially how it works, is it tracks your steps throughout the day, and then every 1000 steps earns you 1 sweat coin. Saving these coins grants you access to cool deals on products I have found to be very helpful for college students.

It also alerts you to deals you can claim for free, which is pretty useful. I really like having the aspect of getting deals while also being able to monitor how many steps I am taking! You can also enter prize draws and try your luck at winning cool things.

Although it takes some time and steps to earn, it is still nice being able to track things and makes the eventual spending of your coins feel very good. I use this app to save on fitness related memberships as well as good deals, my most recent “purchase” being 50% off WITH FREE SHIPPING at Casely (which was free by the way!). I am so glad it makes me aware of great deals!

Just read this.

Have I not convinced you yet? Just click this link.

WALK. IT. OUT.

-me everyday

In conclusion, if you’ve been looking for something simple but also helpful for life’s crazy ways of making us CRAZY, I hope I may have inspired you to try walking!

Anyway… I’m now off to my daily walk w/ my best gal pal.

Audney Burnside is a new writer for the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She publishes articles weekly, spanning the topics of music, lifestyle and popular culture. She hopes to further the amazing creativity that her chapter of Her Campus has to share with the world. Audney is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, studying Public Health in the 3+2 Occupational Therapy Master's program. A new college student, as well as a new member of Her Campus, Audney brings her history of involvement in many programs at her high school, Le Roy Jr/Sr High School. She was the project manager of her chapter of the National Honor society, had the opportunity to write a couple of pieces for the local paper, served her community habitually as a member of her towns Rotary InterACT, and led a team in Scholastic Bowl. As well as Her Campus, Audney is a member of SBU’s honors program, SBU for Equality, and Bona Buddies. Apart from academics, Audney’s life revolves around the music she loves, outdoorsy adventures, and her best friends. Audney is a devoted cat mom and enthusiastic nature explorer, who loves kayaking with her family, takes way too much pride in her recent Taylor Swift concert attendance, and will bring up The Catcher in the Rye at any moment possible.