In Defense of the Girl Who Can’t Cook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I get legitimately stressed when I have to think about a meal to eat for dinner because that means I have to think about the few things that I’m actually capable of whipping up. The closest I get to “wife material” is a chicken patty, mac ‘n cheese and maybe some canned vegetables. This is why going out to eat is one of my favorite pastimes. I can try doing those cute Pinterest recipes, but they never actually turn out the way that they’re supposed to. I’ll probably end up being the wife who orders pizza three times a week.

Despite the stereotype of girls being good at cooking, there are a lot of us that don’t fit into that standard. Being in college and on a budget, it’s hard to find things to eat that aren’t ridiculously unhealthy. Life was much easier when our meals were handed to us on a silver platter, or rather a plastic plate in the dining hall. I would love to throw in the towel and go out to eat every night, but my metabolism is progressively slowing down. I don’t want to give up that easily, or go broke.

After convincing myself for the past few months that Lean Cuisines are a healthy dinner, I stopped fooling myself and bought some real, fresh food. This means that I bought chicken breast instead of chicken patties. The main problem with this is that I didn’t know how to go about cooking it, and I was terrified because I didn’t want to get salmonella. I cleaned my counters about 5 million times to make sure there was no leftover chicken juice. Cooking precooked, processed food is so much easier!

When I cooked the chicken breast, it actually didn’t come out horrible. It felt good to make something good for myself and to eat a real meal. My advice to any bad cooks, which is advice that I need to take as well, would be to be willing to try new things in the kitchen. You may surprise yourself, and the only way you’re going to get better and find out what you’re good at making is with practice. 

Junior journalism and mass communications major at St. Bonaventure University 
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.