This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Being a student at any level is not an easy job. We tend to neglect ourselves, and that in return makes a job harder. Taking care of yourself keeps everything balanced. Self-care is about doing good things for yourself. Loving yourself is just as important as caring and loving for the people are you. We tend to overlook these key ideas for a peaceful life.

Mind:

1. Wake up joyful. Every morning I take the time to take in everything around me. I don’t automatically reach for my phone, but I do sit and think about how I want my day to turn out. This can help a day with harder classes seem just a little easier.

2. Meditate. The time out of the day where I read the bible and talk to God is the best time. This is where I can sit and just let everything go. In the background there is soothing music, I block everything in the world that is going on, and I pray and read my bible. Meditating is what helps me stay positive.

3. Unplug. Social media can impact and take over our lives. How many times a day do you find yourself on Twitter or Instagram just because you are bored. I step away from my phone, television, computer, etc for at least ½ an hour.  During this time I see how much I can get caught up on, and it especially helps during the school year.

4. Mix up your routine. Even a slight change like brushing your teeth then making up your bed is good for you. Changing habits is good for your mind. Shaking things up opens your mind and spirit.

Body:

1. Exercise. Exercise is a no-brainer it releases endorphins which is basically a “happy” hormone. Dancing is my favorite part of the day. I can just let go of everything and focus on something else; not to mention it helps keep my body nice.

2. Smile. Smiling is just a simple way to spread joy. Around campus be a friendly face. Be a bright face, you never know what anyone is going through.

3. Only take in the good stuff. Eating healthy is a key component to a healthy body. The foods that I intake are organic, and I rarely eat fried foods. Try to slowly take out one bad thing every week. Look into healthy food choices in the cafe.

4. Get good sleep. Sleeping good in college is a key component to waking up every morning fresh, and ready to take on class. On certain nights of the weeks, I have an alarm on my sleep app that reminds me to start getting ready for bed. Some weeks try to have days where you go back to your room earlier than usual to unwind and go to sleep earlier.

Soul:

1. Volunteer. There are many organizations on and off campus that needs plenty of help. I like to volunteer at dance camps and church events. Volunteering is just a deed that can help you feel better, and it helps build your resume.

2. Step out of your comfort zone. Be bold, be brave. Every now and then I like to simply switch up my clothing style. This little change has helped me go after the big things I want in life.

3. Learn something new. Knowledge is power. I was always taught to pick up a book and stay current on what’s going on in the world old or new.

4. Meet with a counselor. We all go through things in life. No one has to go anything along. I was a person who kept things in. Letting my emotions go still isn’t an easy thing but talking through your problems can let go unwanted stress. This is especially important during the school year, because with the stress of classes and home life having someone to talk to is important.

Remember that taking care of yourself is the most important thing in college. You can’t have a successful college experience if you forget about yourself. Assignment, tests, and stress is not a good combination if you neglect yourself. Prioritize your own needs every now and then.

Hello! My name is Amenitra Turner. I am 18 years old and I attend the illustrious Savannah State University. I am a pre-med biology major; with the intentions of being a pediatric cardiologist. I am so happy to be to express myself on the best platform for female journalists.