This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Let’s face it, going to the gym is hard enough. Gaining that motivation, getting dressed, taking that walk to your car or to the gym itself. It already seems like a long and tedious process before even stepping foot in the gym. Now imagine after all that, you get there and you don’t feel comfortable! You feel as if there are eyeballs on you and judgement is being passed, specifically by men.

There seems to be a solution: women only gyms.

woman in white shirt and blue leggings
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Although this seems like an easy solution for women to be able to feel more comfortable at the gym, it can be looked down upon. Some men don’t seem to understand that it’s not supposed to be about exclusion, quite the opposite actually. I know whenever I go to the gym I see more men than women, specifically in the weight section or similar areas. With that in mind we can see how women may feel intimidated or scared. There doesn’t need to be an explanation as to why women only gyms (or even sections) should be a thing, but if it helps someone understand, it is simply for women to be able to workout like everyone else.

A lot of women have decided to take matters into their own hands and create their own buisnesses. There is still a long way to go and a lot of support needed. But for now, it is perfectly okay to show other people that you can work through those stares but if that is still not an option and doesn’t make you feel comfortable, that is okay.

SAU'24 Political Science and Theology