This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

If you’re always in a morning rush to work or school, breakfast is something easily forgotten. Fortunately, there’s a quick and healthy fix for this: Juicing. Almost every morning, I make fresh fruit or vegetable juice to start my day. Juicing is an incredibly simple process that does not take more than five minutes. Aside from being able to get my daily servings of fruit and vegetables, juicing allows me to feel energized and refreshed.

Here my top 6 reasons to start juicing:

1. It’s healthy. Most grocery store fruit or vegetable juices are processed. Fresh juice provides the essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that the body needs. It’s also a quick and easy way to get your recommended servings of fruit and vegetables. If vegetables are not your thing, try mixing them with fruits. The fruits will overpower the vegetable taste. Remember, you’ll be getting all the natural nutrients rather than the added sugars contained in bottled juice.
  2. It gives you energy. Fresh juice is the healthy equivalent to any energy drink without the need of artificial sweeteners and caffeine. Juicing your fruits and vegetables makes it easier for your stomach to digest them, thus giving you more energy throughout the day.
  3. It boosts your immune system. Getting the nutrients that comes from raw fruits and vegetables will help you battle colds and allergies.
  4. It gives you healthier hair and skin. Your skin and hair are affected by what you eat. I’ve been juicing for about six months now and it has improved the overall health of my hair. It has been growing faster and stronger. I’ve also noticed less breakage in my hair. The look and feel of my skin has also greatly improved. It is clearer and smoother.
  5. It helps you sleep better. Fruits and vegetables with B vitamins help to promote a good night’s sleep. 
  6. It will motivate you to eat and feel healthier overall. After I started juicing, I started paying more attention to what I ate.

Here is one of my favorite juice recipes that I drink in the morning:

The Green Drink

4 kale leaves

4 spinach leaves

½ green apple

1 kiwi

A cup of soymilk

You can use either a juicer or blender. I start by adding the soymilk first so that it’s easier to blend the ingredients. Then add the leafy greens and fruits. The fruits will help to overpower the bitter taste that comes from kale. Both the kale and spinach are good sources of Vitamins A, K, and C. All the fruits and vegetables listed contain fiber, which are good for digestion. Kiwis are good sources of Vitamin E and help promote healthier skin, while green apples contain carbohydrates to provide energy.  This green juice fills you up, leaving you feeling refreshed and ready to start your day.

You can juice any kind of vegetable or fruit. Now that you know more about the health benefits that juicing brings, you’re ready to create your own juice recipes.

If you’d like more recipes you can go to http://juicerecipes.com/

Catherine Uy

San Francisco

Catherine Uy is a freelance journalist and blogger. She currently interns for CollegeFashionista . When she’s not busy writing or blogging, you can find her shopping at thrift stores, taking street style photographs, or reading the latest issue of Nylon Magazine.You can follow her on Twitter.