sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Ways to Keep your Body Ready for Summer Without Suffering (Snack and Desserts)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

So ladies, summer is just around the corner (happy backflip) and…is it just me, or are there images of pure gymtimidation floating everywhere and more and more often?? I thought so too. FYI, Gymtimidation (gym + intimidation) represents ads about diets with unbelievable before-and-afters, or models flaunting their abs, urging us to avoid cake, ice cream, pizza, burgers, and to run to the gym..Gymtimidation!

Flash news: I don’t like diets. You don’t either? Then you can keep on reading. I too want to have a nice summer body, and I do exercise almost daily – almost. But frankly, the food part is the hardest. I am a sucker for desserts and snacks, so even when I eat healthy the rest of the time and burn a few calories at the gym, I gain them all back by indulging on cookies, cakes and other examples of evil deliciousness. So in the past few weeks, I’ve decided to find alternatives to my favorite desserts and snacks that would give the same satisfaction to my tastebuds, bring less calories to my body, and less guilt to my mind. Here are my 4 ways to keep a healthy and fit body without dieting, per say!

1- Can’t live without your daily PB&J ? Switch things up with a PB&A (Apple & Peanut butter sandwich)

PB&J are probably my favorite sandwiches, but I have to admit that they are far from being healthy, and switching to whole wheat bread won’t really help. So I had to let them go for a while, and I allow myself to indulge every once in a while. The rest of the time, I find that PB&A (apples) are a tasty AND healthy alternative. There easy to make, and you can eat two of them without feeling terrible! You can also dunk some apple slices directly in your PB. Just as delicious!

2- Love crepes and pancakes? Try a delicious fruit omelette

I actually didn’t know sweet omelettes were a thing until last week, during an evening of sudden, severe sweet tooth. I had made a point to eat healthy that week, and all I had in my fridge were veggies, fruits, milk and eggs. I didn’t want to cave in and make crepes or pancakes, so I basically Googled “what dessert can I make with just eggs?”, and this popped up! The recepe is super simple, and all you need is eggs, fruits, and honey to replace the sugar. And yes, it was tasty!

3- Sweet tooth late at night? Go for a “Pomme au Four” (the healthier version)

Even though this dessert is essentially made with apples, it can get pretty heavy: butter and jam can be added to it. If you want to enjoy it without the extra calories, try ditching the butter, and replace the jam with some honey. It’s just as delicious!

4- Indulge in your starch craving with Sweet Potatoes

This one is fairly straigthforward: anything you would do with potatoes, you can do with sweet potatoes! The puree is especially delicious, and you can make your own chips yourself!

These are just a few ideas that i have used these past weeks to feel better about dieting, and about my body! I hope it gives you some inspiration, and takes away the Gymtimidation!

Bisous,

Brigitte