tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Wish I Knew About Friendship, Adulting and Money Before College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

I’m sure many of you (probably) have crossed over from being a teen to a young adult. In fact, I just turned 20 a few weeks ago.

Whenever I look back at who I was even 2-3 years ago as a pretty-sheltered teen in a small town, I think about how much I’ve changed and grew into myself. Some of my memories of amateur antics and just plain old dumb decision making-processes crack me up. However, the consequences of minor offenses and terrible decisions climax for many of us, especially those who have reached 18 and can no longer claim the cloak of being a minor.

So, without further ado, here’s a synopsis of what I’ve learned so far. Hope this advice from an evolving amateur helps ease the burden of adulting.

• Fake and one-sided friendship is for the birds:

Companionship in college is a bit more complicated than merely sitting next to each other during lunch, or class and keeping each other’s secrets about the boy they liked, such as in elementary, middle and even high school. Mainly due to the fact many of us have stopped giving the friendship title to everyone we are in contact with, because we now require more than the basics. Be wary of those who bring nothing more to the relationship.

• Money can be your friend or foe:

Unlike in high school, in college you’ll probably have more financial freedom. Having a budget that doesn’t always end in weekly calls home for more money, or frequent $0.00 balances (that a lot of us are tired of), is a great way to start off your life of financial freedom. One way to start is by checking your balance frequently to ensure no overspending.

• Most of the choices you make will affect you long term:

Firstly, by long term I mean for the next 10-20 years from now. This goes for many decisions you make whether its finances, education, friends, or a career. So, choose wisely!!

Last but not least…

• You will learn more about yourself than you have your entire life:

When I first came to college, what I thought I knew about myself, or rather who I was, what I cared about and what was most important to me, were tested once I hit fall semester. In addition, it took awhile for me to see the parts in me that needed to change. Even though the growing pains of adulting and becoming who you are may hurt, the growth spurt of maturity will be worthwhile. So, take the time to learn you.

I'm Kyra Wilkins who is a freshmen majoring in communications and an aspiring journalist. I am able to explore my creative side through writing. I am excited to be able to be a voice for others.
Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.