nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“We Want More”: Demands for Better Counseling Services at Salisbury University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

A petition entitled “Counseling Center Petition” is currently circulating at Salisbury University in hopes of improving the counseling services provided on campus. According to the petition Salisbury University’s Counseling Center currently has the same number of counselors today as it did in 2001, despite the increase of mental illness affecting college students. Salisbury University’s enrollment total was listed at 6,421 in 2001 and has increased to 8,657 in 2018. This a 35% increase over 17 years.

The petition cites the International Association of Counseling Services as advising universities to have a minimum of one full-time counselor (excluding trainees) for every 1000-1500 students. They also note that Salisbury University is well below the minimum standard, employing only 4.5 FTE counselor positions.

The petition writes “We, as a campus, sternly request that there be an expansion of the current Counseling Center, so that 1) more counselors are hired to meet the minimum IACS guidelines, 2) students have less of a waiting period for counseling, and 3) drop-in counseling times are created to serve students with an immediate need for attention.”

Statistics from the American Psychological Association emphasize troubling statistics obtained from college campuses. 21% of students who go to their university’s counseling center present with severe mental health concerns and 40% present with mild mental health concerns. Additionally, 36% of all college students suffer from depression.

This petition is important to ensure the safety and well-being of students and their mental health. Mandatory waiting periods and limits to the number of times students can visit per semester (eight) is counterproductive to providing students with the services they may desperately need.

To sign this petition you can go to:      Ctrl+Click or tap to follow the link”>https://salisbury.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/162748

Questions about the petition can also be directed to the creators of the petition:

Jillian Scott – sgacos@gulls.salisbury.edu

Ben Lenox – sgavp@gulls.salisbury.edu

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”