nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Cope With Seasonal Affective Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

If you’re a college kid, it should come as little or no surprise that approximately 36.4 percent of us are suffering from depression. As someone who has a history of depression, I know what it’s like to just be unhappy and unable to do the things you usually enjoy.

This is a year-round thing many people have to deal with. For some, however, they’re suffering from seasonal affective disorder, aka “SAD.” Ironically, if you tend to have a darker sense of humor, SAD is about unhappiness.

It’s defined as a category of depression that emerges during particular seasons of the year. For the majority of people, the symptoms of SAD start in the fall and increase during the winter months.

The symptoms of SAD are essentially the same as major depression: lack of energy, difficulty concentrating, feelings of hopelessness, loss of pleasure in activities you once enjoyed and thoughts of death or suicide.

Unique to the winter version of SAD are symptoms like cravings for carbohydrates, weight gain and heaviness in arms and legs. Around 10 to 20 percent of people suffer from SAD, and it is four times more common in women than men.

There are a variety of options for treating depression and SAD. Antidepressants come in different forms like SSRI’s and SNRI’s. Using medication can be very helpful but can take weeks before positive effects take place.

Therapy can also be helpful in identifying and addressing negative thinking and behavior that may be impacting your depression.

I strongly believe that there are ways to cope with depression and SAD, and that depends on finding what kind of treatment works best for you. Scheduling an appointment with a doctor or finding someone to talk to can be helpful in taking a step back to where you want to be.

Salisbury University has the Counseling Center. Salisbury has a number of places for help in dealing with mental health issues. Read below for more information.

Life Crisis Center: (410) 749-8111 – 24 hour hotline

Peninsula Mental Health Service: (410) 860-2673 – Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (with appointment)

Salisbury University Counseling Center: (410) 543-6070 – Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.