jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Depression comes from chemical imbalances in your brain which results in feelings of severe despondency and dejection that unfortunately takes away many lives of young people in the world.

In this case, music can be extremely therapeutic to listeners or even artists themselves. The lyrics and emotion conveyed in a song can heal you, comfort you, soothe you or break you.

Sometimes, the deep meaning of a song can be hidden in the light-hearted or catchy instrumental and other times, the instrumental is as dark as the meaning behind the song.

In no particular order, here are 10 examples of songs that tackle the issue of depression (links highlighted in pink):

1. “Baby Don’t Cut” by B-Mike

This song takes on a journey of a 17-year-old girl who is in deep depression and her boyfriend tries to desperately pull her out of the box she keeps herself in.

2. “Steven” by Jake Miller

This song is about a boy named Steven and the effect that his household and school life has on his mental health.

3. “Welcome to My Life” by Simple Plan

This song talks about the way someone with depression constantly feels on a day to day basis. It talks about feeling hurt, lost and alone.

4. “1-800-273-8255” by Logic ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid

This song is about the thoughts that run through the minds of some people with depression and their willingness to take their own life.

5. “Uhgood” by RM of BTS

This song talks about the feeling of being disappointed in yourself and feeling as though you amount to nothing. It discusses the struggle in finding the real you within yourself, loneliness and falling short.

6. “Let Me Out” by Jonghyun

This song is a cry for help after falling into depression due to lack of love. The song discusses the feelings of being exhausted of the world and being drenched in tears. Unfortunately, Jonghyun died by suicide on Dec. 18, 2017.

7. “Warrior” by Demi Lovato

This song is about Demi Lovato’s own struggle with depression and her journey in overcoming her demons.

8. “How To Save A Life” by The Fray

This song is about the aftermath of a suicide and a friend’s regret in not being able to save the life of a friend.

9. “The Last by Agust D” by Suga of BTS

This song is about Agust D’s struggle with depression and social anxiety. In the song, he talks about his therapy and how he tries to hide his weak self with a tough facade. He also talks about how success and greed tried to turn him into a monster he did not want to become.

10. “This Song Saved My Life” by Simple Plan

This song talks about music’s therapeutic essence and its ability to save the lives of many who feel like they do not belong.

Glory Ngwe

Salisbury '21

I am a Communication Arts-Multimedia Journalism track major with a minor in Business Administration at Salisbury University. I aspire to become an intelligent and creative leader in my field for the world I am growing up in.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.