nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“1-800-273-8255” : Live Like Logic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Artists today hold more power over today’s youth and young adults than some would like to admit. Many of these artist shoot to fame with a solid hit and this is equally true for artist Logic. After years of obtaining a cult following with his music, Logic’s newest album Everybody topped at No.1 on the Billboard pop chart in May of this year. More recently however his song “1-800-273-8255” made it onto the top 40 Billboard Hot 100 with its strong message of positivity and encouragement.

The name of the song “1-800-273-8255” was named after the National Suicide Prevention Hotline Number. Logic himself has said that “it’s the most important song I’ve ever wrote.” According to the National Institute of Mental Health suicide claims more than 44,000 people in the United States every year. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for people between the ages of 10 and 14 and the second leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 and 34.

Since the songs released the Hotline has reported receiving the second highest call volume in history for a day.

The chorus of the song changes by starting as one of hopelessness with “I don’t wanna be alive, I don’t wanna be alive, I just wanna die today, I just wanna die” before moving on to “I want you to be alive, I want you to be alive, You don’t gotta die today, You don’t gotta die” before reaching a turning point of “I finally wanna be alive, I finally wanna be alive, I don’t wanna die today, I don’t wanna die.” This track also features rapper Khalid and singer, song-writer Alessia Cara.

While performing this song recently at the Video Music Awards Logic was surrounded with suicide survivors wearing the name of his song on their shirts. Logic uses the platform he has to not just promote his music but to promote the ability to live and to survive. Following his performance he had this to say :

“ I just wanna take a moment right now and thank you all so much for giving me a platform to talk about something that mainstream media doesn’t want to talk about. Mental health, anxiety, suicide, depression, and so much more that I talk about on this album. From racism, discrimination, sexism, domestic violence, sexual assault, and so much more. I don’t give a damn if you’re black, white, or any color in between. I don’t care if you’re Christian, you’re Muslim, you’re gay, you’re straight. I’m here to fight for your equality. Because I believe that we are all born equal, but we are not treated equally.”

Logic recognizes the struggles that many people around the world face regarding important topics like mental health, race, and sexual orientation. Taking a step farther with his message, the music video for “1-800-273-8255” features a young African-American boy struggling with his sexuality and on the brink of suicide. When asked about his choice in story Logic said “ I had to ask myself, who are some of the people that struggle most? I think black people in American, young people in America, and gay people in America, so I said let’s make it about a strong, young, black, high-school student who’s going through hell and screw what anybody else thinks.”

Logic’s music is important because it allows people to be honest about not being okay and about needing to reach out for help. As someone who’s struggled with their mental health it’s empowering to know that there’s someone out there that cares so deeply about other people’s well-being. My personal happiness that comes from his music also comes from knowing that Logic was born and grew up here in Maryland.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with suicidal thought or any other crisis the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at “1-800-273-8255.”

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.