jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Healthy This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Autumn has arrived, ladies, and with that arrives the wonderful things about fall: warm scarves, boots, pumpkins, hot cocoa, and coughing. Wait, what? After the first few months of college, you’re finally on top of things. You’ve tackled papers and exams, and you’ve managed to keep a decent sleeping schedule (sort of). Yet, the plague sneaks up on us all eventually. Illness is a big no-no for us college students. No girl wants to miss out on classes or hanging out with friends on the weekends. Not to worry though, for here are five tips to prevent getting sick this autumn:

1. Keep clean

A clean environment makes for a clean you! This doesn’t necessarily mean spraying everything you own with disinfectant (maybe you’re into that too!) but just generally maintaining a neat arrangement. Your room reflects your inner state of mind.

2. Drink lots of fluids, especially water

Water is essential to the body. Don’t let yourself get dehydrated, especially after the amount of walking we do as college students. Water improves your mood and keeps us alert daily.

3. Get a good night’s rest

This is especially important! Studies show that typical college students need approximately 8-10 hours a day of sleep. Pulling all-nighters often will take a toll on students.

4. Regular exercise  

Exercise is an important part of maintaining your physical and mental health. Working out also helps de-stress. Maybe lifting weights isn’t your thing? Try out new things with friends like Zumba, yoga, or pilates.

5. Don’t let dreary weather get you down

The South Bend “permacloud” has returned. Outside factors can indirectly affect you psychologically. The lack of sunlight can negatively affect people who are already in a bad mood. However, if you’re already in a cheery mood, bad weather won’t bring you down too much.