This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Deadlines. Exams. Essays. Responsibilities. Obligations. When a semester begins, these things just seem to pile up until you feel like you’re up to your neck in anxieties. 

In moments like these, take the time to remind yourself that you are human. You, a very stressed out and overwhelmed person, are also a person of complexities. While you may feel like you are only struggling, remind yourself of the moments when you were triumphant and on top of everything. In moments where you feel like you aren’t on top of anything, it is especially important to remind yourself of these other moments. 

In times when you feel like everything is just too much, don’t judge yourself for needing to take a moment away from it all, whether it be a good night’s sleep or talking on the phone to your mom for an hour. 

This is your reminder that regardless the grade you get on that exam or how well you did on that paper- you are an imperfect person and your worth is not based in the moments of imperfection. So take a breath and remind yourself that you will get through this week, exams, projects, and whatever the next obstacle is. When you feel like you’re drowning in obligations, don’t forget the times you learned how to swim or had someone help you reach the surface. When you’re up to your neck in obligations, don’t forget to come up for air.   

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.