This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

It’s the time of year again when the leaves begin to change and the air becomes crisp and cold. Fall is the season of change and transformation. It is the perfect time to reflect on your year so far, how you’ve grown, and where your journey has taken you. It’s important as the weather begins to get colder to maintain the same healthy mind and healthy body that you had during the spring and summer seasons – where you could be outside in the warm sun. Practicing yoga will provide you with several benefits for both your body and your mind, no matter the weather! 

Mental Benefits: 

Doing yoga for just a couple minutes can help to lower your stress and calm your mind. Plus, yoga can help elevate your mood! Every time you do yoga, you relieve your nerves and release endorphins. Because of this, you will lead a happier, healthier life. Everytime you take a deep breath, your heart rate lowers and your stress levels decrease. During yoga, you are advised to inhale and exhale slowly and with purpose. Overall, this will lead your mood to become happier and you won’t be as worried anymore. 

Physical Benefits: 

Yoga being a physical activity is important. Whether you’re doing a few stretches in the morning or a full on yoga practice. The benefits of moving your body are countless. Doing yoga can help your physical body with flexibility, building muscles, and overall strength and balance. I bet you’re wondering right now, why do I need those things? Well, as a college student it’s difficult to balance your life. Homework, classes, exercise, clubs, etc… There are so many different tasks to balance while also trying to maintain a healthy mind.

Fitting it into your schedule: 

Everyone has different routines and schedules. Depending on your schedule you should find time to yourself, do a couple of stretches, and try to focus on relieving your stress. Yoga in the morning is helpful to wake your body up, start your day off right, and breathing slowly will clear your head. Yoga in the evening will help wind you down for a deep sleep, relax and slow your body down, and release all the stress you might’ve accumulated throughout your day.

Leila DeVoe

Sacred Heart '27

Hi! My name is Leila and I major in elementary education. I love spending time with friends and family (especially my two puppies), shopping and doing yoga. I also am a member of the cross country and track teams at SHU and love to run and exercise.