This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Finally, the season that we have been waiting for… spring time! Warmer and sunnier weather is always a great motivation, especially for me. When the sun is out, I find myself eager to be healthier and to find myself again. In addition, summer is right around the corner and so is beach weather. With this in mind, the time for a ‘beach body’ is starting now and it is important to eat healthy not only for this ‘beach body’ but for your own health. Here are a few simple spring time healthy recipes that are great to make.

1. Greek Salad

Any type of salad is healthy, if the right ingredients are added. In this Greek salad, the key ingredients are as followed:    

• Romaine lettuce

• Feta cheese

• Cucumbers

• Onions

• Black olives

• Green peppers

• Tomatoes

• Lemon juice & olive oil

• Optional – add grilled chicken for protein

These ingredients make for a delicious, cool salad that has all the right nutrients to fill you up. Each ingredient is healthy and has nutritious benefits. Feta cheese, for example, is made with sheep or goat’s milk and has protein and key vitamins and minerals. However, this should only be added in a moderate amount because it is high in some fats and sodium depending on how it is made. In addition, cucumbers provide about 4% of your daily vitamin C and about 3% of daily fiber. These additives serve as great energy sources for your day.

1. Berry Frozen Yogurt

A refreshing cold frozen yogurt on a warm day is the best combination and a great snack. In this at-home frozen yogurt recipe, the following ingredients are needed:

• Strawberries (frozen)

• Blueberries (frozen)

• Bananas (frozen)

• Ice

• Plain Greek yogurt

• Agave (small amount)

• Vanilla protein powder (optional)

• Plain almond milk

All these ingredients should be combined in a blender and stopped at a consistent thickness. Then, place in the freezer for a few hours until a good consistency to place into a bowl. You can top off this frozen yogurt with more fruit or dark chocolate chips to add a crunch or even almonds. The vanilla protein powder and the Greek yogurt obviously provide protein that helps build muscle and fill your stomach for longer. Plus, the fruits provide vitamins and minerals that can only benefit your body.

1. Overnight Oats

One of the most underrated snacks or breakfast meals are overnight oats. There are so many ways to make overnight oats that it is hard to just choose one. However, this simple and basic recipe is one of my favorites. The ingredients are as followed:

• ½ cup oats (old-fashioned or quick oats)

• ½ almond milk (or any milk of preference)

• Agave

• Cinnamon

• Fruit

• Almonds

• Strawberries, blueberries, banana

• Chia seeds

The first step is to place the oats and milk in a mason jar or any type of storage bowl. Place the cinnamon, almonds and agave on top and put this in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, top off this creation with fruits, more almonds, and chia seeds. This can last up to 4 days and is filled with protein. Overnight oats can also work on-the-go to bring to work or school. The addition of chia seeds adds protein, fiber and calcium that helps fuel your body throughout the day.

These delicious, easy, homemade recipes are perfect to make on a sunny (or rainy) day. Each recipe is unique in their ingredients and provide protein, minerals and vitamins for the body. Time to start cooking!

Sacred Heart University 2020 Health Science, Global Health Major Nutrition, Exercise & Wellness
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.