Campus Update: WSHU Broadcast Center & Public Safety Department

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As most of us have seen over the past couple of months, Sacred Heart’s growing campus has shown no signs of slowing down. The brand-new addition to campus is the WSHU Broadcast Center and Public Safety Department Headquarters. The building is located right opposite Roncalli Hall and has been in construction since last summer.

The facility has a modern architectural design similar to newer campus buildings like Toussaint Hall, Bergoglio Hall and the Martire Center for Business and Communications. As such, it blends right in with the contemporary aesthetic that Sacred Heart has been going for in recent years.

This extension to a growing SHU campus was designed specifically to give the Public Safety department their own headquarters after so many years of being cramped up in the main academic building. The building will provide the department with a range of communication and technology updates to assist them in the measures that take to make sure we as students, feel safe on campus 24/7.

In addition, Sacred Heart University’s own NPR-affiliated radio station, WSHU will share the space as well. The award-winning radio station has served the Fairfield County and Southeastern Connecticut regions for several years and will now have access to a wide variety of resources and equipment to keep up with its growing broadcasting needs.

I’m sure freshman living in Ronc definitely appreciate the flight of stairs connected to the building to get to main campus. I should think it’s slightly better than those everyday uphill walks…

The official inauguration and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the facility will be held on Wednesday, May 16 at 11 a.m. Granted, you’ll probably be knee-deep in summer paradise by then, feel free to check it out if you happen to still be in the area!

Carolyn Lisboa

Sacred Heart '20

Sacred Heart University Class of 2020 Marketing/Digital Communications/Information Technology International student from India 
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.