neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Are New Year’s Resolutions Ever Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Are New Years Resolutions really worth it?

The numbers, according to statisticbrain.com show that most of the time, they are not.

• Just 45% of Americans usually make New Year’s Resolutions
  • 38% of Americans avoid it and absolutely never make New Year’s Resolutions
  • 8% of Americans are successful in achieving their resolution
  • 71% of people make their resolutions last through the first two weeks…and only 46% make it past six months.

New Year’s resolutions have been around for decades, and millions of people every year make promises to themselves to change something in the coming year.  But are they really promises? Most people these days either just know they won’t follow through with their resolution so they don’t make one at all, or they make one and wind up being disappointed in themselves for not following through with it. Why are so many people unsuccessful in changing themselves for the better in the New Year?

The most common mistake is that their resolutions are unrealistic, too specific, or involve someone else’s input. Sure, we will see the classic “new years resolution gym-goers” for the first couple of months of the New Year (if that), but even that rarely lasts.  If you must create some type of resolution, instead of focusing on one specific thing such as improving your health by going to the gym 5 times a week, you should think about having a general resolution that will simply entail being happy and being thankful.  That way, any step in the right direction will make you feel good about accomplishing your goal. Most importantly, make sure it’s YOUR resolution that you want. Nobody can motivate you to change more than yourself.

It’s never too late.

It doesn’t need to be a new year in order for you to better yourself in some way.  If at any point in the year you realize there is something that must change, then act on it right away.  If there’s something about yourself that you are unhappy with, then there are always ways to work on it–don’t just wait until the clock strikes twelve on New Year’s Eve to overcome it.  Also, change won’t come about in just one day.  People must understand that putting in time to start seeing the results they want is always necessary. So ladies, if at any point in the year you want to make a change in your life, don’t set yourself up for disappointment, but do set yourself up for a happier, more positive you.

Leah Capobianco

Sacred Heart

Sophomore at Sacred Heart University Interests: fashion, watching football, writing
Taylor Lane is a senior in the Sacred Heart University school of education. She majors in English and is a section editor for the school newspaper, Spectrum. She is a captain on the Division I Softball team. Taylor aspires to be a special education teacher and spends her free time volunteering in programs for people with special needs.