Wellness

How Getting 10,000 Steps a Day Improved My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

For one month, I challenged myself to get 10 000 steps every single day. My sister and I had been doing Chloe Ting workouts for about six months at the time and I wanted to add a bit of cardio to my routine without overexerting myself. I didn’t go into this challenge expecting much, but as I went through the weeks I noticed a change in my health. Just not in the way I would have thought.

Getting 10 000 steps gave me a goal, something to focus on. I had to schedule my days and make sure I had time to get all my steps in. Or if I had poor time management, spend a couple of minutes walking up and down the hallway late at night. Like making your bed, getting your steps in is a goal to complete every single day, and gives you an immense feeling of accomplishment.

It also got me to go outside for at least an hour every day. While I love sitting down and binge-watching Netflix as much as anyone else, I can’t deny how much better I feel after getting some fresh air. Making that time to get outside, listen to some music or a podcast really helped boost my mood.

Finally, doing this challenge made me view my body differently. Although I hadn’t lost any inches or pounds, when I looked in the mirror I felt good about what I saw. I used to hyper-focus on the issues I had with my image but over the weeks I started spending more of that time thinking about how proud I was that I was doing things to take care of my body. That shift of mindset was huge for me.

So if you want to try this, here are my tips:

1. Instead of doing 10000 steps every single day, aim for a monthly average of 10000 steps. This takes some pressure off, allows for rest days, and makes sure every step you take is counted to your challenge.

2. Find something you enjoy doing while you walk. This could be talking to a roommate or family member, listening to some music or a podcast (check out our Her Campus Podcast, more episodes are on the way!)

3. Do your best to avoid fixating on the numbers, as long as you are healthy and happy that’s all that matters.

4th Year Media Production student studying at Ryerson University.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.