This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As the days get shorter, colder, and darker (feeling a little blue already?), it’s easy to succumb to the wrath of winter blues. Moods can shift, energy levels decrease and inevitably, productivity is sure to deplete if you’re learning remotely. 

The internet is abounding with questions on how to conquer the winter blues, so if you’re already feeling down, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) affects two to three per cent of Canadians, and compared to men, the likelihood for women to receive an SAD diagnosis can reach up to nine times, according to the British Columbia Division of the Canadian Mental Health Association.  

Sure, you can wear your PJs to class and don’t have to walk across campus in sub-zero conditions, but remote learning during the winter can be taxing on one’s mental health. As one would never let a friend encounter a vampire without a handful of garlic, here are five ways to brave the winter blues while maintaining your mental wellness.

Maintain a Steady Routine

Whereas your motivation may have been at its peak during September, it’s easy to hit a plateau during the winter. Structure your days to ensure you’re working according to a set schedule, with an allowance for some “me time”, of course. With the onset of finals, workloads and all other commitments life has to offer, it can be easy to fall off track. Remote learning requires countless hours of Zoom instruction, followed by more hours of screen time as you crunch through assignments and asynchronous class. Keep in mind that the earlier you get your work done, the earlier you’ll be off the hook.

Create an Incentive to Stay Motivated

Let’s face it, staying motivated just for the sake of staying motivated seems a bit…harsh, right? At the end of a long day’s work of staring at a computer screen, you need to reward yourself. Save the new episode of your favourite show until you’ve completed all your work, mellow down with an adult colouring book or even bite into something delicious as a nice treat for yourself.  Find an after-work activity that will give you something to look forward to as you work your way through your daily checklists and to-do lists. 

Location Matters

If your current study area is dimly lit, you might want to change that. A study conducted by neuroscientists at Michigan State University found that “[s]pending too much time in dimly lit rooms and offices may change the brain’s structure and hurt one’s ability to remember and learn”, as reported by MSUToday

One’s emotional responses can be heightened by brighter light, according to research that the Journal of Consumer Psychology published as reported by HuffPost. So if you feel a little down, it’s best to create a well-lit study area to boost your cognitive and emotional wellbeing.

Stay Active

If you’re reading this, your shoulders are probably slouched and your back is hunched over— was I right? Who can blame you? Zoom classes can last up to five hours (Master’s students know this all too well), and it’s difficult to think about physical activity and body wellness on top of all the other commitments in your life. However, there are a plethora of health risks that can arise from prolonged sitting so it’s important to get up and move around. 

“Habitual inactivity raises the risk for obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, deep-vein thrombosis, and metabolic syndrome,” according to Harvard Health Publishing

Whether you’re in an apartment, sharing a room or living with your family, there are plenty of ways to stay active, even when the temperatures drop and gyms face the risk of closing down due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

Try setting your laptop at a higher elevation so that you can stand for portions of your Zoom classes, sit on a stability ball instead of a chair, or set a reminder every hour to remind yourself to move around. Yoga with Adriene, one of YouTube’s most popular yoga instructors, offers a ‘Yoga at Your Desk’ session…pretty cool, right? No matter what you do, by staying active daily, your body will thank you.

Keep Close to Friends and Family

The winter blues are real, and sometimes, it’s easy to disconnect with the ones we love the most as we aim to manage our priorities and commitments. Keep in mind that it’s vital to speak out. Share your concerns and grievances with those close to you. After all, you’re not alone.

Rhea Kumar

Toronto MU '22

Rhea is a Master's of Journalism student who can often be found practicing yoga, watching the Criterion Channel, or reading anything written by Joan Didion.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.