Top Five Restaurants in NJ That I SWEAR by

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Ah, New Jersey. We have so much to offer – people fill your gas, we’re right next to the city, we’re in the land of outlet malls, but the most important thing of all… the food.

Since living here when I was 7 years old up until my adult years, I have meticulously tried and ranked amazing and God-forsaken restaurants so that YOU don’t have to! So today, ladies and gentlemen… I am un-gatekeeping my top five restaurants you won’t regret trying:

1. Menya Ramen House – Located in Metuchen and Ridgewood

I’d been on the hunt for exceptional ramen in New Jersey for years… until I came across this place. Located in the heart of Downtown Metuchen and right next to Metuchen’s train station (Score!), Menya Ramen House really has something for everybody.

And if you’re vegetarian (or even vegan) like me, you’re gonna LOVE this place even more! Menya has two vegan ramens – one called the Kimchi Miso made with original miso and the other called the Spirit Lifter with a refreshing veggie curry base (my personal favorite). The location is so aesthetic and decorated with cute Polaroids, and even has cozy seating along the walls for individuals who dine-in alone to splurge!

Something I especially adore about this place is the tofu, as it is made in-house. I also love their take-out boxes, as they package everything so neatly and conveniently!

If you’re planning to go here, do what I do – Come with a friend and get their Value Set – Choose your 2 favorite main dishes (ramen and/or donburi) and 3 appetizers from their menu for $50 total OR choose your 4 favorite main dishes (ramen and/or donburi), 4 appetizers and 1 dessert from their menu for only $95!

Thank me later – It’s a STEAL!

• Saravanaa Bhavan – Located in Edison and West Windsor Township

I’ve grown up having Saravanaa Bhavan with my family and have yet to get sick of it. If you’re a fan of South Indian cuisine, spicy food, or want to branch out and try something authentic, Saravanaa Bhavan is the perfect place for you. Saravanaa Bhavan is exceptional for their South Indian cuisine – a cuisine that can be quite hard to come across with good prices and good quality. For me, Saravanaa Bhavan easily tops any other South Indian restaurants for me.

So, what do I order? On most days I almost always get their Onion Rava Masala Dosa – without a doubt, my FAVORITE pick at Saravanaa Bhavan. If I’m feeling extra hungry, I’ll order an Idly Vada plate, consisting of a rice cake paired with a savory/crispy donut that comes with their delicious sambhar (lentil-based stew) and chutneys (sauces).

Anytime I’m hungover or sick, this place will without a doubt pick me right back up.

• Fat Cactus Cantina – Located in New Brunswick and Parsippany

I first came to Fat Cactus Cantina while I was attending college out-of-state and was back home in Jersey to visit some friends. My friends told me all about this place and I never understood the vibe… until I went.

Guys. Their create your own tacos are AMAZING. They give you a sheet where you can check off all kinds of bases and toppings for each of your tacos and you can order as many sauces as you want (and they have a lot)! I like to ask for my sauces on the side so I can add it as I munch.

Every time I get this meal, it always comes with a side of lime and radish on the side – the perfect palette cleanser. Definitely give this place a try if you want to up your protein intake, try new sauces, or are craving a yummy margarita!

• Sukh Sagar Cuisine 3– Located in Piscataway

Sukh Sagar has been near and dear to me ever since my parents first brought me here when I was a little girl. Their palak paneer/palak dishes are my absolute favorite, and their Idli Vada combo is amazing. I specifically love Sukh Sagar for their North Indian food!

Here’s what I usually get: Manchao Soup or Hot & Sour Soup, Idly Vada Combo, Gobi Manchurian Gravy, Palak Paneer, and Garlic Naan.

For a South Indian, this place is my ultimate satisfaction anytime I’m craving North Indian food. There’s something about a rich, creamy curry and a fluffy, garlicky naan that puts my soul to rest like nothing else.

I also enjoy coming here for birthdays! It’s the perfect place for family dinners.

• Prima Pizza Kitchen – Located in Somerville

I had to include an Italian feature here, because I am the biggest pizza fanatic I know. And as a vegetarian… my standards are pretty high. I was at my internship one day, when my office ordered pizza for lunch. I’d just gotten my wisdom teeth out the week before, so I was just getting back to eating my normal foods. When I say that I ate this pizza so fast to the point of it hurting, just know I’m not joking.

And once my mouth was finally fully healed, I started ordering pizza from them anytime I got the chance, and the rest is history. Let me tell you… they have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different kinds of basic pies that have sauce, cheese, and are vegetarian?!

First, they have the classic cheese – you can’t go wrong with this and a side of ranch. Next, they have a Margherita Pizza, with fresh mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, garlic, and basil. They also have their Drunken Grandma pizza which is almost like a deep dish with vodka sauce instead of marinara sauce (I love getting this one). Lastly, my personal favorite and the Winner of Best Pizza in NJ, the Champlain Slice – the base is cheese and it’s topped with their award-winning marinara sauce, basil, and parmesan. One slice of this will take you to heaven.

Want my advice? Get at least two of the slices mentioned above, some garlic knots (50 cents a pop – a STEAL!), and a side of ranch. You’ll be so happy you did.

There you have it! My top 5 restaurant picks of New Jersey. I truly can’t count how many times I’ve been to each of these places, but if you go, let ‘em know who sent you!

Pooja Hanagandi is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is a Journalism and Media Studies major with a minor in Labor Studies. She's always binging a TV show or movie, and knows all the best ramen spots.