nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Simple Ways To Be Kinder To Your Body On A Daily Basis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Loving your body can be one of the most challenging things to do in a culture that is constantly setting unattainable beauty standards and dangerous stereotypes for both men and women. With spring already in full-swing and summer right around the corner, you may be feeling pressured to get your body into acceptable shape as you peel off the warmer layers that kept you “safe” for so long. There is nothing wrong with trying to look your best by crushing your fitness goals, but before you go overboard with fad dieting and excessive working out, don’t forget to listen your body and shower it with self-love and nourishment. Being kind to your body is more than being physically fit; it is more about achieving inner happiness and letting yourself experience life to the fullest. It is understanding, ultimately, that it’s okay to not love parts of physical self every moment of the day but that how you view and interact with yourself should have nothing to with your outward appearance.

1. Realize that there is no such thing as “perfection”

The idea of “perfection” that so many of us aspire to is extremely detrimental to our mental well-being. The despair of not fitting into the cookie-cutter image of what society believes we should be can make it hard to live life fully, leaving us feeling like we don’t deserve the best of what life has to offer. The first thing to remember is that all bodies are just that- human bodies. Beautifully magnificent, meant to keep you alive and functioning. Your existence is not about how pretty or attractive you are in everyone else’s eyes, and you’re worth infinitely more than some arbitrary number on the scale. Comparing yourself to strangers on the internet is doing nothing to help your self-esteem, so unfollow any and all social media accounts that feed into your insecurities and make you feel like you’re never enough. You exist, and you’re enough for simply existing.

(Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash)

2. Screw diet culture

Diet culture has evolved into an extremely toxic concept, one that perpetuates awful ideas about what it means to be healthy. Amongst other things, it categorizes food into “good” and “bad” and promotes disordered eating patterns by idealizing one form of eating and deprecating others. Consistent talk in the workplace and among family and friends about “clean eating”, “weight loss”, and “21-day detoxes” all contribute to the diet culture ideal and can be misguided and damaging to self-worth. Listen up ladies, your life is not about trying to shrink your body into some baseless ideal. Dropping diet culture does not equate to dropping being healthy; rather it is recognizing that health is more than just the food and calories you consume. Health, and being kind to your body in general, is multidimensional. You’re a human being capable of life, laughter, dreams, and aspirations, which are all equally as important to your well-being as food.

(Photo by Taylor Smith on Unsplash)

3. At the same time, nourish to flourish

Remember, a healthy lifestyle isn’t about losing weight or wanting to look a certain way, it’s about truly treating your body with the compassion it deserves. While it is by no means a sin to binge on an ice cream pint and consume an entire pizza every once in a while, remember that your body isn’t a junkyard; make sure you’re feeding it the nutrients it needs by eating your greens, grains and protein. This doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Despite what diet culture may have deeply ingrained within your mind, you do not need the fifty-dollar activated whey protein or locally-sourced non-GMO acai bowls to achieve optimal health.

(Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels)

4. Drink a lot of water

No matter how many times it’s been emphasized in our health classes and by our parents, coaches, and doctors, we still neglect getting enough of this magical elixir. If you’re wondering whether or not you’re drinking enough water, you’re probably not. A few months ago, I was introduced to the app Waterbalance, which sets and tracks water intake based on individual parameters such as age, height, weight, and activity levels. What makes this app enjoyable to use is that you can sign up for it with a bunch of friends. Watch the water intake rise dramatically, for the better, as you all try to outdo one another in achieving your daily limit of intake. Being body positive is about learning to take care of your body. You care for your precious house plants by watering them so that they survive and blossom, and it’s time to do the same for your body.

(Photo by Katii Bishop from Pexels)

5. Move around

This one doesn’t need to be complicated either. You don’t need a gym membership. You don’t need to hire a personal trainer, nor do you need to invest in any fancy equipment; all you need, really, is your body. Take advantage of the warmer weather coming up, and go out for a run. Not your thing? Take a walk and discover your neighborhood. Climb the stairs twice. Dance, swim, bike, jump rope, play soccer, engage in a game of tag with your little siblings, or follow youtube tutorials (Fitness Blender is my personal favorite as it caters to varying fitness levels and intensities). Get moving not only for the physical benefits, but more importantly for the endorphins, improved mood levels, and increased brain power.

(Photo by Greg Rakozy on Unsplash)

6. Get ample sleep 

Easier said than done, I know. It may seem well worth it to to pull an all-nighter in order to write the eleven-page literary analysis paper or to attend that once-in-a-lifetime frat party, but the accruing sleep debt is seriously dreadful on your body. Sleep is integral to memory consolidation and learning amongst other things, so attempt to squeeze in at least 6-8 hours. Learn to manage your time wisely and avoid procrastinating to the point of all-nighters. Sleeping well will make your body energetic and ready to take on the day, as opposed to feeling lethargic and weighed-down with fatigue.

(Photo by Gregory Pappas on Unsplash)

7. Exude kindness and surround yourself with positive people

Remember, beauty is a state of mind rather than a state of body. It’s about what you say and do, and how you make others feel. No matter what, radiate kindness. Smile at strangers, say “please” and “thank you”, call your long-lost high school friends, and show people that you genuinely love and appreciate them. The right people will love you back for who you truly are rather than for something as superficial as the shape of your body. Keep surrounding yourself with those who genuinely care for you, support you, and have your back no matter how hard things get. Doing so will make you feel more fulfilled and content in the longer run.

(Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels)

As you navigate the middle-to-end of semester in a frenzy of work, classes, studying, and socializing, don’t forget to indulge in self-care by nurturing your mind and body with everything it needs in order to thrive- mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Sanika is an undergraduate student at Rutgers University-New Brunswick studying computer science. Besides writing for HerCampus, she advocates for diversity in STEM through RUWiCS and for social issues through RUHSC. In her free time, she loves reading, biking, painting, and exploring brunch places with her friends.