bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Winter is coming! While there are great aspects of fall (Halloween, anyone?!), many people’s moods drop quicker than the leaves off trees. This season, prioritize your mental health by taking these steps.

1. Embrace the Cold

While getting outside during low temperatures can sound less than ideal, it does wonders for our mental health during all seasons. Just a short walk can raise your energy levels!

2. Get Busy

Making plans (whether with friends, family, members of your organizations, or solo) can help us feel less stuck and more optimistic about the cold weather!

3. Take Time For Yourself

It’s healthy to be a little selfish! Remember you can always decline plans if you aren’t interested at the moment. At these times, it’s a good idea to develop a self-care routine. We all have little things that make us feel better, such as listening to music or connecting with an old friend. Give yourself a break and stop putting so much pressure on yourself! While it’s so important to depend on a support system, we need to learn how to be alone. As Whitney Houston says, “learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all”.

4. Care For Your Body

Our physical health affects our mental health. The weather makes it harder to stick to a routine, but try to exercise, drink water, and eat well. Keep some good food at home and exercise indoors in case the weather prevents you from going out.

5. Try Something New

Here’s another idea to feel less in a rut! Is there something you always wanted to do, but never had the time or motivation? Visit a new place, start a hobby, or anything to challenge yourself. It’s a great way to bring adventure into your life and shake up your routine.

6. Ask For Help

Some of us have more trouble taking care of our mental health than others. There is nothing wrong with that! Be sure to reach out if you feel like you need help, even if you think it isn’t a big deal. It’s always better to get help just in case. On campus, we have counselors for appointments and even drop-in hours that help guide students through any issue. The Dean of Students is another great resource for both academic and personal struggles. If you are having trouble, don’t be afraid to talk to your friends, family, or professors. No matter what, you are always supported, valued, and loved, even if you feel otherwise. People are always going to be there to help!

With these tips, conquer your mood and beat the winter blues! You got this!

Saman is a student at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. Her interests span from science to activism to the arts. She loves to make friends, go on adventures, and stay involved in her community. She is determined to make the world a better place. Follow her Instagram: @saman.aamer