Life > Experiences

An Antisocial Woman’s Guide to Halloweekend on a College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

If you are anything like me, you may have a love-hate relationship with Halloweekend. On one hand, Halloween is lowkey your favorite holiday, and it is the one time a year you can let your emo side come out to play without judgment. On the other hand, maybe you are not a fan of the yearly pranks, or being at that age where you are expected to party but would rather go trick or treating. Take it from a professional; I have survived three college campus Halloweens without feeling isolated and alone. Here is the ultimate Halloweekend bucket list for every antisocial non-partygoer! 

1. Go to the Zoo 

This might sound weird, but the zoo is actually super lit on Halloween. Grab a comfy animal costume and walk around with your besties! You can have all your Halloween fun in two hours and be back in time to go home and eat candy in your Halloween pajamas! Bonus points if you go with adorable baby relatives! I went with my baby cousins one Halloween and it was so much fun! 

1. See Your Spooky Favorite on the Big Screen 

A lot of movie theaters around this time of the year show Halloween classics. I went to see Scream one year on Halloween and it was a fun experience to watch it on Halloween night. I also saw Hocus Pocus one year! The movie theater is usually empty on Halloween night, so you get the theater pretty much to yourself and can enjoy candy with your popcorn! 

1. Have a Halloween Baking Night! 

Sweets are the best part of Halloween! I love baking especially, and being creative with some of my classical favorite recipes. Last year, I baked bat cookies, witch hat cookies, and some meringues that looked like ghosts. Cakes are also always fun too! Fun fact: I have an article from last Halloween with some baking suggestions!

🎃 Related: Your Guide to Halloween Baking
  1. Go on a Haunted Hayride 

Haunted hayrides are a Halloween staple. They are spooky (but not too spooky), inexpensive, and all around a good time. I love going on hayrides with my friends to get in the spirit! And the best part is they are not overly long, so you can always get back home in time to get your Halloween movie binge! 

1. Have a Halloween Movie Marathon! 

You probably knew this was coming, but movie marathons are the best way to celebrate! Movies are essential to any spooky season. They give you the chance to get scared and embrace Halloween from the comfort of your own home! One year, my friend and I watched a different movie every weekend leading up to Halloween. 

1. Hand out Candy! 

I know this one might seem obvious but hand out candy to trick-or-treaters in your neighborhood! It is fun to go home and see all of your neighbors dressed up, and this gives you the chance for some light socialization. It does not get too exhausting because all you have to do is say, “Happy Halloween,” and send them on their way! This year, I am organizing a Halloween trick-or-treat event for students in my residence hall! 

Halloween is my favorite time of the year, but it can become less fun once you are in college and too old to go trick or treating but too young to have children of your own to take. It can get worse when you are not into partying—the most popular Halloweekend activity on a college campus. Try some of these low-key options and remember that you are not alone! There is always another tired, busy, and antisocial college student who shares your struggle! 

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

Julia is a senior at Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences. Academically, she is interested in Egyptian archaeology and art history. Outside of classes Julia loves fashion, coffee, art, music and is a dedicated feminist! Her Campus is a way for her to combine all of her interests in a journalistic setting, and an organization she loves being a part of!