This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

There is nothing more important than a good work-life balance! With final exams approaching in the midst of a global pandemic, everyone could use some quality self-care time. Here are 7 ways to destress and reset your energy:

Face Masks and FaceTime

Grab your favorite face masks and do some skincare with your friends over a video platform such as Zoom or Facetime! There is nothing more therapeutic than doing a skincare routine and chatting with friends after a stressful day of work. Your skin will thank you for it! Check out some popular masks from Sephora here.

Game Nights

Whether with roommates, virtually, or with family, board games are a great way to connect and relax! If playing in-person is out of the question, online versions of popular board games such as Scrabble and Monopoly are available. Trivia night is also an awesome way to have a socially distant hangout session. Grab a hot cocoa and get ready to win!

Pick Up a Book

Reading is a great way to take your mind off of work and school. Immerse yourself in a fantasy YA novel such as Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo or The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. Not into fiction? No problem. Check out some great self-help books such as The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson or philosophical books such as 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari.

Exercise

Exercising helps keep both your mind and body in shape! Take a scenic run outside or start a workout plan by Chloe Ting or Blogilates on Youtube. Many workout gurus have various calendars to help people get into shape in the comfort of their own home. If you are feeling adventurous, try a plan that targets a specific muscle group. Start a workout calendar with your friends and challenge yourself!

Meditate

Take some time to reflect and remove yourself from daily stressors by doing some meditation. According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, meditation is shown to reduce blood pressure and chronic headaches that may result from stress. Some popular meditation apps include Calm and Insight Timer.

Retail Therapy

Buy something to treat yourself, whether that be your favorite snack or the sweater you’ve been eyeing for the past couple of weeks! With the holiday season quickly approaching, it is a great time to do some online retail therapy and get your Christmas shopping done.

Arts and Crafts

Don’t want to spend money? A great alternative is to do some arts and crafts! A therapeutic painting session can help you reset after a busy week of school and work. Take a stroll to the park and paint the beautiful fall landscapes of November. Alternatively, watch some iconic Bob Ross painting videos and try to follow along!

Everyone needs a break from time to time. After a hectic day of work or exams, taking some time to kick back and unwind is essential. For many of us, the end of the fall semester is just weeks away! Remember to take care of your mental health in the midst of finals season!

Lily Huang

Rutgers '23

Lily Huang is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is currently majoring in Cultural Anthropology. In her free time, she loves cooking, painting, and playing with her cats.
Sam F

Rutgers '21