selena gomez martin short and steve martin in Only Murders in the building season 3
Hulu

7 Binge-Worthy Shows You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

We all know the feeling of trying to find your next binge-worthy show. You’ve seen it pop up on your for you page – or heard about it even through a friend – just to discover that it’s not as easy of a watch as you once thought it was.

Well, we’ve been there and we got you covered. Here are some of our go-to’s that have us wanting more:

1. Abbott Elementary- available on ABC, Hulu

Abbott Elementary is a sitcom television series that took us by surprise as such a cute and hilarious show. It also amazingly highlights the care teachers have for their students and lengths they will go to help their students succeed. Filmed in a documentary style (similar to The Office or Modern Family) the show follows teachers at Abbott Elementary, a predominately Black underfunded Philadelphia public school. 

You will easily fall in love with every teacher and staff of the school. Each episode the audience experiences a typical school day of second-grade teacher Janine Teagues played by Quinta Brunson as she navigates her early years of teaching with her coworkers. We don’t want to spoil anything, but there is a relationship forming between two teachers that give off Jim and Pam vibes and has us hooked. If your looking for show with an easy laugh Abbott Elementary is the show for you! New episodes just premiered on February 7th and will continue to come out Wednesday nights!

1. The Haunting of Hill House – Available on Netflix

Initially, we assumed the show was just your typical haunted house story, but boy were we in for a surprise. Released in 2018, The Haunting of Hill House offered viewers something different from their usual TV binge. Starring Victoria Pedretti, known from You, this tale offers a sinister yet comforting look into The Crain family.

Something that struck us when starting this show is the attention to detail and the way it’s filmed. The music pairs perfectly with the eerie vibe, and even the flashbacks are full of curiosity and intricacy. The story of this series itself will stick with you. The quality of the cast, acting, and plot is exceptional – all factors that make this show one of our favs.

1. New Girl – Available on Hulu, Peacock, and Apple TV

New Girl is a classic series that reflects the ups and downs of your mid-20s. It doesn’t get better than a dysfunctional friend-family, and that’s exactly what this show is about. In the past we’ve seen office settings, school settings, and the like. New Girl takes place in Los Angeles and offers viewers a unique experience in the shoes of Jessica Day, a young woman trying to make it in the real world, all while juggling her relationships with all her roommates.

It’s hilarious, light-hearted, drama-filled, and even kinda deep. We’ve noticed this show is popular amongst various groups of people, so we highly recommend this watch if you haven’t seen it already! This show will fix for the perfect binge if you’re ever stuck on what new show to try.

1. Gilmore Girls- Available on Netflix

Gilmore Girls captured our hearts and encapsulated us in the world of smalltown Connecticut, Stars Hallow. The show follows the close mother-daughter relationship between Loreli and Rory Gilmore. We fell in love with their dynamic and special relationship as well as the people of Stars Hallow. Gilmore Girls gives the perfect fall and academia aesthetic that will make you want to rewatch every fall season!

It is a perfectly articulated coming of age show as the audience follows Rory through the ups and downs of her journey throughout high school and college. It also has the perfect elements of drama and relationships while keeping everything lighthearted and wanting more. Overall, this show was such and easy watch and we hope it captures your heart as much as it did ours. 

1. Only Murders in the Building- Available on Hulu 

As someone who is a sucker for murder mysteries oftentimes the killer is out in plan sight and we are usually not surprised by who it is when it comes to the end. Luckily that is not the case with Only Murders in the Building. Starring Selena Gomez, Steve Martin, and Martin Short whose characters band together through their love of murder podcasts create their own while solving a murder case in their very own building. You will fall in love with the dynamic of this trio and the insane amount of plot twists that will have you on the edge of your seat. 

Although, murder mysteries can oftentimes be a gruesome topic, this show finds a way to add humor and it’s all do to the amazing star studded cast. In the most recent season we even see the very familiar faces of Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep. We are still in complete shock from the last seasons ending and are very much looking forward to whats in store for their next season. 

1. The White Lotus – Available on Hulu, Max, and Apple TV

From the scenery to the music to the costume design, White Lotus does a brilliant job taking the viewer into the scene they paint for us. Not only does this series star phenomenal actresses like Sydney Sweeney and Jennifer Coolidge, but the tie-ins from each side-plot to paint a whole story is executed extremely well and make their performances just that much better.

We were hooked and on the edge of our seats from beginning to end, as the show whisked us away into the world of White Lotus, and made us forget all about our troubles. It provides a calm yet mysterious feeling that just can’t be replicated. And what makes this show binge-worthy is the attention to detail in this series – It’s definitely a watch-twice type of show!

1. Bridgerton – Available on Netflix

If you’ve heard about Bridgerton in the past, now is your chance to start! With an all-new 3rd season airing this May, fans and critics alike are biting their nails to find out what the new season will bring. Since the second season aired, Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story was released in May of 2023 to give fans a backstory on beloved Queen Charlotte’s. With this newfound intel on the land of Bridgerton, viewers are eager to see what new twists and turns will come out of this year’s upcoming season.
The aesthetic of Bridgerton is unique and extremely intricate. The attention to detail will encapsulate and engulf your experience, as the show tries (and succeeds) to plop you right into the 1800s. The riches and regality of the show are in their own ways an aesthetic that the show represents beautifully, and is a great source of inspiration. If your looking for elegant yet steamy love stories that seamlessly connect, this is a must watch!

All in all, we could go on forevverrrr about shows we could binge. But these, my friend, are the top of the top. Watch these, and not only will you be in-the-know of pop culture favs, but you’ll be doing yourself a personal favor.

In recent years alone, the media has opened up into a space for people to showcase moments of their lives they don’t always get to express – it’s become more than a place for the rich and elite. These shows are a creative outlet for those tired of waiting in the shadows, and we’re here to tell you that they deserve to be seen. If you give any of these a try, please let us know! We promise you won’t be disappointed.

Pooja Hanagandi is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is a Journalism and Media Studies major with a minor in Labor Studies. She's always binging a TV show or movie, and knows all the best ramen spots.
Leena Fookson

Rutgers '26

Leena is a student at Rutgers University studying Public Health on the pre-dental track. She loves to hang out with family and friends, read, and travel.