Sisterly Love Notes to a Woman: Thoughts from Someone Holding a Mirror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…..right? Looking at the media, a young woman wouldn’t think that, but it’s something we all need to be reminded of. So many times in our lives we go through changes and new experiences, especially during college years that we forget to love ourselves for the beauties that we are. Yes the images of beauty in 2015 are more inclusive than those of the 90’s and the early 2000’s, so round of applause for that, but how far have we really come?

Body image is still a very pressing issue for young teens and adult women, especially with the new school year.  Regardless if she’s an incoming freshman, transfer student, or a seasoned veteran, she will have many new experiences.

First impressions are the lasting ones; sometimes, if you get to know someone, you can alter their perception of you, but more often you only have one encounter.  This, along with classes and club activities, can add more stress to be perfect. While searching for the perfect look, women see unrealistic images in magazines and television that even celebrities cannot attain. So, wouldn’t that make them see their reflection as needing improvement rather than being beautiful as is?

The media does a great job of saying women should look like this and smell like that. When on a college campus, there are so many subtle messages of what beauty is. As a woman you often have to experiment to create your version, but individuality can make you an outcast when most people want to go unnoticed or fit in. Looking at different people around school suggests wearing this designer and having that haircut so, when we look at someone else, we take away from our own beauty.

When we aren’t trying to impress each other we are competing for male attention. Most guys just want a girl to be confident and have a great personality; easier said than done. Women need to remember to be themselves and let inner beauty shine through; not for male approval, but for themselves. But is that really an option or how much truth is in that?  Isn’t “SHE” good enough the way “SHE” is? Isn’t her thick curly hair gorgeous? Why don’t her full hips fill the dress out nicely? Shouldn’t she work out because it will improve her health and not to help her fit into a size four?  Can’t a man be in love with her because she has brilliant viewpoints on life? In My Own Words: YES! That’s how it should be.

We should be encouraging the young girls to love themselves and accept themselves, for who they are, and not to change or conform to society’s pushy ideas. Woman love thyself as if there is no tomorrow. You are beautiful and brilliant. Be courageous in your doing because you are strong. You are funny and witty. Your sarcasm is one of your best qualities. Your glasses highlight the brilliance of your eyes. Your round butt makes your jeans look better than the manikin ever could. Your friends love you and miss you when you are away.  Just in case YOU needed a reminder…..you rock. When you walk down the street or through your commons area, hold your head up high and press your shoulders back. Don’t be intimidated by another woman’s beauty but thrive off the fact that her presence has made your day better.

There is no life better than yours. Don’t forget that …ever. Just because one guy isn’t interested in what you have to offer doesn’t mean there aren’t 20 others that do. You deserve so much more than determining your worth based on his attention or lack thereof.

You are worth more than rubies, diamonds, and pearls. You are loved. You are magnificent. This academic year will present you with challenges and opportunities. Conqueror your fears and make them learning experiences if you fail. Make every moment count. This will be your greatest year yet. So are you ready to be great? This has been In My Own Words: Sisterly Love Notes to a Woman; Thoughts from Someone Holding a Mirror,

Hello everyone! My name is Maiya Sinclair Asia Onie Patrice S. In the mean time I will be going by M. Sinclair. It is the pen name I have chosen to write under. I am 22 years old and born on July 23rd, 1993 on the West Side of Chicago and I currently live in the suburbs. I love Chicago! There is no greater city! Yes I am a Leo!! It is one of my worst and BEST qualities. In my opinion and by conclusion based on others, I am a witty creative mind, with a pure genuine since of self. I am a little weird at times, but aren’t we all? I have just figured out that there are degrees of weirdness. I have an appreciation for art and wine respectively, no wonder why they go so well together!!  I am seriously musically inclined, meaning that I have played two instruments in my life I did color guard for six years. FYI: THIS IS DEFFINITELY A SPORT.) Aside from playing instruments I can also sing and dance. When I say I listen to music ALL day EVERY day, I mean it. Sometimes if I don’t listen to music I feel completely off. I have a wide range of listening choices; I love jazz classical all the way to show tunes and musicals and that includes everything in between. But my go to Pandora station is Erykah Badu. That station is definitely the truth. Music is a huge part of my life. I would like to believe that I am both smart and intelligent because in my opinion there is difference in having done well in institutionalized education (smart) and having the ability to apply the knowledge you gained in daily living (intelligence). I am pursuing a Journalism degree at Roosevelt University with a minor in African American Studies.  I chose my major because I genuinely feel like I have something meaningful and inspiring to share with the world. As a journalist I want my work to create conversation and provoke change. I promise to always uphold the truth to the best of my abilities. I will not create stories or issues just for views. Journalistic integrity is of the highest importance to me.  I hope that having a little insight into my life and mindset has intrigued you to want to keep reading. I hope you all enjoy them and can relate.