Career > Her20s

No Talent Required: 3 Ways to Finesse Your Way to the Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

In school, more often than not we get pressured by our teachers to pay attention because they say “one day you’ll have to apply this material in the real world.” Yes, this statement has validity but we tend to forget that even if we have all the knowledge in the world, it won’t be good enough if we don’t have the simple stuff down. There are so many easy things we can do to improve ourselves that require little to no actual intellect or special talent, and can help us stand out in any classroom or work environment. 

A for Effort 

In the same way, another thing that goes a long way is effort. You can have no idea what you’re doing but if your boss sees that you’re making the effort to ask questions and seek help, they will be happy that you’re doing something about it. It’s not the end of the world if something doesn’t go your way but the way you react is how people will remember you. 

​It’s the Little Things 

One of the first things you can do when you feel a lack in your “abilities” is to re-check your work ethic. Having a strong work ethic can mean anything from always being prepared to practicing punctuality. You can be the most intelligent person in the room but if your boss sees that you can’t do something as simple as being on time to work, they will look past your intelligence.

Keep Your Cool

Displaying a positive and optimistic attitude in the workplace is so effective, yet people tend to forget about body language. The type of body language you communicate can either make or break you. Whether or not you’re doing it on purpose, if you’re displaying moody facial expressions or crossing your arms, you’re not giving off the best possible image of yourself.

By taking the initiative to make small, “no talent required” improvements to your performance in the classroom or workplace, you’ll feel the boost you need to ensure you’ll thrive and succeed- even faster than the “smart ones” in the room.  

Rollins College Chapter
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.