Wellness

This Just In: The Ultimate Cure for Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

At this point in the semester, I’m sure everyone is on the same page and experiencing some heavy burnout. Especially this year, without an official spring break, we have just been going and going since we started in September. One recommendation I have for that nasty burnout is trying out a local yoga class, or even the ones we have on campus!

Last week, I tried my first yoga class. It was outside in the grass, overlooking Lake Virginia and I had the best experience of my life. To get out off of my couch and look up from my laptop screen felt amazing, and taking that class allowed me to become more aware of things in my life that I hadn’t acknowledged before. I felt one with myself and the world around me, and my friends in the class all agreed that we felt less stressed and more at peace. 

The instructors repeat how the class is not about working out but about “working in.” Throughout the class, you are physically and mentally challenging yourself. A yoga class encourages you to find strength, peace, and trust within yourself through each move and stretch.

Many people are often intimated by the idea of yoga, but don’t be afraid to lose balance or fall out of pose. It’s like a metaphor for life- we are continuously hitting challenges in our lives but it’s our decision to get back up and keep going. Falling and getting back up shows just as much strength as sticking that pose and holding it. 

Yoga is a great way to recharge your mind, body, and soul when you’re feeling particularly burnt out. These are the last few weeks of the semester- we’re almost at the finish line! Use the resources around you, like yoga classes for example, to ensure you’re taking care of your mental and physical wellbeing during finals season.

You got this, future yogis!

Bellie Gonzalez is a junior at Rollins College, majoring in Communication Studies with a concentration in public relations and minoring in Creative Writing. No, her real name isn’t Bellie, it’s Isabella, but she prefers to stick with her unique nickname that resonates with her one of a kind personality. In her free time, you can find Bellie doing the things she loves to do most: dancing, writing, and being a girl boss.
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.