This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

In the last few months, I have learned about my own energy. I am more careful and reflective now when it comes to who I let into my space. How do I feel when I’m around certain people? Do I feel drained and anxious? Or do I feel content and at peace? I have also learned to say no more often. If it brings me anxiety and discontentment, I will not surround myself with it.

If there is something that 2021 teaches you, let it be that establishing boundaries helps protect our time and aura. Boundaries are essential to better communicate in our relationships and they help us make decisions based on what is best for us individually.

It is so important to take the time and effort to manage our emotions and connections in a healthy way. Below are some boundaries I’ve set for myself that have changed my life for the better.

1. I will not allow others to guilt trip or manipulate me into doing things that I’m uncomfortable with, or allow them to invalidate my feelings.

2. I will honor my emotional needs. I will focus on what it is that I’m lacking emotionally and work on improving that.

3. I will not hold myself responsible for things that are beyond my control. I also will not blame myself for the pain that someone else has caused me.

4. I will continue standing up for myself and others, and voice my ideologies with confidence.

5. I will cut people out of my life who make me feel unworthy.

6. I will not let my happiness depend on other people.

Vanessa Martinez is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus magazine at Rollins College, Winter Park, FL, and contributes to the chapter's content creation. Beyond Her Campus, Vanessa has interned with Florida State House Representative Anna V. Eskamani's legislative and campaign teams. Additionally, she has been involved with Amnesty International at Rollins and studied abroad in the South of France during the fall semester of 2022. She is currently a senior majoring in political science and going into the international law field. During her free time, Vanessa enjoys reading books of all genres and traveling any chance she gets.