This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

There is no doubt that this recent election has brought many tears, anxiety, and nerves. With the decision finally having been made and Biden being declared victor, we can all take a sigh of relief. 

This election was one of the highest voter turnouts America has seen in several years according to numerous news sources. And let’s be real here, our generation killed it. Here in Rochester, NY every single person I knew went to vote to make their voice heard, and RIT promoted voting heavily with our “Roar the Vote” campaign. We, as a generation, watched the debates, did our research, and cast our votes. That is a huge accomplishment- be proud!!

However, within these next few months stress will continue to arise through the end of Trump’s administration, the new Supreme Court nomination, as well as other factors with the transition of welcoming a new President.  This will bring significant  new challenges to our political climate.

As we head into this period, it’s crucial to follow the news, stay up to date on candidates, and overall what is happening in the current state of the country.. With this being said, self care comes first. 

The amount of people who experienced genuine fear and anxiety during this past election is off the charts. Politically active is a good thing to be, but not to the point where you’re sacrificing your mental health. So let’s take a few moments to discuss some ways to care for yourself, while remaining informed on what’s happening. 

1.) PUT THE PHONE AWAY!

Possibly the most obvious tip out there, remember to take time, and step away from technology. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed by news outlets, debates, or other sources, take a moment to put down the phone and relax. It’s no surprise being on our phones for too much a day can cause some negative health effects regardless; time away is certainly not a bad idea. 

2.) DISTRACT YOURSELF 

This may sound somewhat contradictory, as we want to continue to stay active in politics, but understand that sometimes you need a break from all the “gibberish,” to be quite frank.Discussing politics with friends can be a really good way of debriefing, understanding the information, and de-stressing. Yet, sometimes it can do the opposite; you may find yourself discussing to the point you feel scared of a certain topic or outcome. At this point, change the topic of conversation. You can always come back and talk through ideas when you feel mentally prepared to do so. 

Plus who wouldn’t talk cats over politics anyways? 

3.) EAT AND DRINK 

Keeping yourself healthy with your eating habits and water intake is crucial. Nerves manifest themselves in different ways, for some, forgetting to eat or drink water is a common occurrence. Not to mention, college can make it extremely difficult to remember to eat between classes, studying, and maybe even a job. Whether you need to add a reminder in your phone, set up a lunch date with a friend, or prepare meals ahead of time, keeping on track of eating and drinking enough water will improve your overall mood and health, despite what’s happening in the world of politics. 

4.) DO SOMETHING FOR YOU

As college students we spend the majority of our time studying and working. And of course as of recently, focusing on news, news, and more news. Yes, we do this all in the long-run for our own well-being, however taking time to focus on something in the present for you can go a long way. Make a cup of tea, read a book, take that 90-minute nap, go on a walk, etc. Whatever caters to you- do it. 

These may seem simple and even mundane at their core, but with the daze and confusion politics can bring, sometimes we can lose sight of what little things help us stay in a mentally healthy and stable mindset. 

Stay on top of politics, make your voice prevalent, make change- but remember that’s only possible if you’re in a good space. Hopefully these few tidbits will help you prepare for any upcoming turmoil politicians may bring. 

And of course, remember that we’re all here for one another. We’re in this together. 

Ashley (Ash for short) is a first-year at RIT ASL-English Interpreting Major. She is a first time writer for Her Campus, and is very excited to share ideas, grow, and connect with others going through similar, or even different experiences. She loves writing, and hopes to pick up an immersion or minor in it. With a heavy focus on activism within feminism and the LGBTQ+ community, she's ambitious and ready to discuss anything from her several cats to mental health and challenges faced by minorities. If she's not around you can probably find her on the phone with her girlfriend or at work at Pizza Hut making only the most supreme of pizzas.
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology