How to avoid procrastination during midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

Final or midterm exam season can be stressful, but fall midterms can be a special source of anxiety for many college students. The week of tests and papers due can be abrupt after having months of lazy summers and syllabus week. Extra-curricular and social activities start picking up, and many students start to plan trips home for fall and Thanksgiving breaks. Basically, fall midterms are the last thing any college student wants to think about. Procrastination usually follows; here’s some way to avoid it : 

1. First, take an hour out of your busy schedule to sit down, relax and make a calendar. Doing so can not only help you to avoid procrastination but also can reduce stress by getting everything out of your head. Google calendar is an option that’s helpful and free. It can easily block out events and prevent you from over-scheduling yourself. If technology isn’t your thing, any paper agenda will work. Typing or writing everything down will help balance your busy social and academic calendars.

2. Switch up your study spot. Although you might be in a routine with your regular study spot, it may be helpful to mix it up. Studying in a new environment can refresh your study habits and keep you from getting bored.

3.Create incentives and create balance. Don’t plan on studying for seven straight hours for that big test. Make goals and rewards, like a run, time with friends or an hour of Netflix. Making yourself have free time will help you avoid maxing out on study time and will keep you focused when it is time to study.

4. Above all, remember there’s still half of the semester in front of you. Enjoy it, and try your hardest!