This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

You know that moment when you realize that you have work to do, but you can’t do the work until you prepare the work to get worked on? These days it feels like we’re always either ultra-productive or completely burnt out. So, here are a few ways that you can procrastinate and feel a little less guilty while you do it!

Make a Schedule

Starting college remotely has made me realize that I cannot function without some kind of schedule. Right now, I use a checklist to keep my work on track, and (as long as I remember to put it on the list) I never miss an assignment! Also, make sure to schedule some downtime for those days that you feel like you’re working yourself into the ground.

Take a Walk (Or a Shower)

I like to think of this as the perfect opportunity to clear my mind and get some light exercise. This is a great method when writing papers. Walking helps me to come up with new ideas, and to figure out how I might phrase my words without the pressure of a blank page.

Organize Your Work

This is one of my favorite forms of unproductive productivity! Usually, after making a schedule, I make a stack of everything I’ll need to do all my work, and then put it in a place that I’ll always see it.  It’s also a great motivator to actually do the work when you’re always walking past “a massive pile of stuff that you should probably make a little less massive.” 

Take a Nap

I absolutely love naps, and I’m unapologetic when it comes to taking one when I know that I need one. If you can barely keep your eyes open while you’re trying to finish up a reading assignment, it might be best to just take a nap and finish it later.

Clean

This tip is pretty broad. One of my favorites is to do my laundry or clean my room. In the time it takes for the clothes to clean and dry, I can either commit myself to actually finish the work or give myself a short break.

These tips have helped me out a ton when I need to get a large amount of work done! Try these out yourself and see if they help you!

Sydney Royal

Rhodes '24

Sydney Royal is a Freshman at Rhodes College. She is from Roswell, Georgia, and intends to major in English with a concentration in creative writing. She is also considering a double major in Environmental Sciences or Biology. She loves animals and dreams of working with them in the future alongside her writing career.