Wellness

Why It’s so Important to Put Down Your Phone at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Many of us have developed a habit of using our phones before going to bed, whether it be scrolling through Instagram, responding to messages, or watching some TikToks. Consequently, this habit has a significant impact on our sleep quality and overall health. So, I’ve decided to discuss why it is important to avoid using your phone at night time and my experience with revenge bedtime procrastination.

sleep aid products hero?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Emily Veith

First and foremost, the blue light emitted by screens suppresses the production of a hormone that regulates sleep called melatonin. Melatonin helps to signal to our bodies that it’s time to sleep, but when you’re exposed to blue light before bed, our bodies are tricked into thinking it is still daytime, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. This can lead to insomnia, fatigue, and in general, it can mess with our sleep cycles. To combat this, I recommend cutting back on phone use for 2-3 hours before bed.

The constant stimulation from notifications and social media can make it difficult to relax and wind down before bed. I struggle with revenge bedtime procrastination which can be defined as “putting off bedtime to claim some precious personal time”. I used to spend at least 3 hours in bed on my phone before going to sleep. As time went on I became more and more exhausted, and this habit was just not sustainable anymore. The constant influx of information can keep our minds active and engaged, preventing us from fully relaxing and preparing for sleep. If you’re like me, after spending the night on your phone you will probably wake up feeling tired and groggy the next day.

Moreover, the constant use of your phone at night time can lead to addiction and decreased face-to-face interaction with loved ones. I began to notice that as I spent more time on my phone at night, I spent less and less time with my friends and family. With the constant notifications and messages, it’s easy to get caught in the cycle of constant phone-checking, making it hard to disconnect and relax. This can lead to addiction, which can negatively impact relationships, work, and overall well-being.

My resolution to this problem was to create a bedtime routine that allowed me to wind down and properly prepare myself for bed.  Activities such as reading a book or meditating to help improve the quality of my sleep helped immensely. Setting a specific time to put away your phone and disconnect from technology can help to signal to your body that it is time to relax and prepare for sleep. Trying to avoid screens for at least an hour before bed, allowing your body to get ready for bed can be a game-changer.

In conclusion, using your phone at nighttime can have a significant impact on your sleep quality and overall health. It is essential to disconnect from technology and establish a bedtime routine that promotes relaxation and sleep. By avoiding your phone at night, you can improve your sleep quality, increase your energy levels, and improve your overall well-being.

Emma Luong

Queen's U '25

A third-year Health Sci student at Queen's University who enjoys reading, making Spotify playlists, watching classic movies and cooking!