What They Don’t Tell You About First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

A letter to my younger sister,

First year university is filled with excitement. You have every right to be excited and nervous at the same time. You get to be whoever you want to be. First year marks the beginning of adulthood for many people, so naturally, it comes with a lot of firsts; living on your own for the first time, living far away from your parents for an extended period of time, making new friends from different cities, what it means to truly be independent, and really getting to know yourself separate from your family and friends from home.

However, no one really tells you the hardships that come with all of that excitement. First year can be extremely hard. A little depressing at times and there will be many times you feel completely alone. You may seriously contemplate giving up and moving back home. But, if you can stick it out for a little longer, I can almost guarantee that you’ll be glad you did. 

No one told me that the first year of university, at least the first month or two, can be an extremely lonely time. I was never warned that my mental health could suffer, or that I would miss my home so much. I contemplated moving back home many times. Instead, I opened myself up to new opportunities. I joined clubs, reached out to people, and tried my hardest to enjoy every experience. Now I’m in fourth year, and I couldn’t be more thankful for the friends I have and the memories I’ve made at university. The time has flown by and I wish I would’ve enjoyed myself more in first year. My only hope is for you to enjoy each moment while you’re there because the time moves incredibly fast. 

Just remember these few things when you feel like you can’t handle the loneliness or the stress…

Be open to new things

It’s important to be open-minded when meeting new people and trying new things. Everyone is different. You probably won’t find the exact same friends you have back home – and this is okay!!! You should be glad to make new friends. Diversity in your friend groups is extremely important. Remember: Never judge a book by its cover. 

Remember that you are not alone

Even though you may feel as though you are alone, you’re never truly alone. Your family and friends are only a phone call away. You will always have your home to return to. Your friends from home will not forget about you. Who knows, you may even meet your greatest friend in your first year. That’s what happened to me! 

Take breaks

School can be overwhelming but at the end of the day, it’s just school. In the grand scheme of life, your mental health is much more important. Yes, you’re there for academics, but you are also there to learn about yourself, make friends, and begin to establish a life for yourself. This is the time of firsts, go enjoy it and don’t put so much pressure on yourself. 

Most importantly, you will always have me.

Love, 

Your big sis

Alexandra is a fourth year student majoring in Sociology at Queen's University. She is also the president of a club on campus that she is passionate about; Girls Inc. at Queen's. She hopes her writing helps others as much as it helps her! 
HC Queen's U contributor