This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Do you ever have those days where life seems to be moving in slow motion, and everything that’s thrown your way feels like a knockout punch that takes you down for the count? Even the most basic task, like getting up in the morning, may represent a mountain that you’re just not ready to climb. These funks are rarely marked by stress or anxiety but rather a numbness to what the world has to offer. In my experience, these days can accumulate to a never-ending cycle of weeks or months marked by low energy and dull emotions. Everyone experiences funks in their own unique way, but I have comprised a list of tips and tricks that have helped me embrace my funks and get back to my normal self, and hopefully these can do the same for you.

Sleep

We can’t be on our A-game all the time, and sometimes a funk is our body’s way of telling us to slow down and recharge. Research some dreaming techniques, flip your mattress over, or snuggle up to your favourite pillow and let your worries drift away in a deep sleep. Whether you’re chronically exhausted or you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, a good night’s sleep may be all you need to feel refreshed and ready to take on what each day has to offer.

Eat Delicious Food

Your body and mind need nutrients to flourish, so take the time to eat some healthy and delicious food. Cooking is great way to clear your mind and feel excited about something in your life, so manifest your inner Gordon Ramsay and whip up some of your favourite comfort food or a meal that reminds you of home. If you want to get out of the house and support local businesses, head over to Kingston’s farmer’s market and buy some fresh ingredients. With the help of your mom’s secret cooking tips over Facetime, you can feed that beautiful body and brain of yours, so get cooking!

Go Outside

Rain or shine, it is so important to get outside and breathe in some fresh air. If you’ve ever seen The Odd Life of Timothy Green, you know that connecting with nature can be as easy as standing in the sun, closing your eyes, and spreading your arms out wide. If you’d like to avoid the attention you may draw from this spiritual practice, feel free to just sit outside and read a book as you sip your favourite beverage and feel the rest of the world trickle away.

Exercise

I rarely partake in this one, but when I do, it seems to kickstart my brain and body. Although the workout itself may be dreadful, the feeling of relief and pride afterward is rewarding enough to make it all worth it. Whether it’s going for a light walk or running a marathon, work up a sweat and pump those endorphins through your brain to feel happy and healthy.

Watch Lots of TV

I am a huge fan of keeping my pajamas on all day and ripping through a movie or TV marathon. Sometimes it’s good to escape your own mind and imagine you have the publicity problems of the Kardashians or that a boy is standing outside your window, with a huge boombox over his head, professing his love for you. For a cheap monthly subscription, you can rewatch Gilmore Girls for the fifth time or binge a new season of your favourite show, so microwave some popcorn, break out a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and enjoy the at-home movie theatre experience.

Get Dolled Up

Once your couch potato phase is over, change out of those pajamas, look up some style inspiration on Pinterest, and get dolled up! Start by hopping in the shower and washing your hair, and maybe even shave if you’re feeling particularly crazy. Next, fry your hair into a soft curl and toss some makeup on your face. It’s too easy to forget your beauty when school is online and you interact with such a small number of people, but when the day is staring you down and you have so much on your to-do list, give yourself an ego boost and conquer the day!

Dance Your Heart Out

Dancing is one of my favourite ways to release negative energy. You can boost your mood instantly with just a speaker, a dance floor, and a fire playlist. There are some classic bangers that are so much fun to crank up and belt your heart out to. Whether you’re pulling a Callie Torres and dancing alone in your underwear, or you’re with your friends, turn up the jams and get groovy!

Talk It Out

If you’re the type of person that can chat for hours about their feelings, then find a friend, sibling, parent, or stranger sitting next to you on the bus and get it all out there. Hearing other people validate your feelings, share their own experiences being in a funk, and offer advice on how to feel better will certainly make you feel less alone, and explaining your feelings out loud may help you better understand why you are feeling down and what else you can do to pull yourself out of the funk.

Learn Something New

School can be a lot sometimes and may force you to learn about things that you are not actually interested in. After you finish your textbook readings, find a book that interests you and read it for pleasure. If you’re not into reading, teach yourself how to meditate, listen to a podcast, or watch a Youtube video on how to learn a new skill. By learning something new outside of school, you will feed your brain and soul with new perspectives that may just lift you out of your funk.

Embrace the Funk

Finally, you may just have to accept the fact that today is not your day. If you need a break from interacting with others, embrace your funk and allow yourself the time to move in slow motion and heal from anything that hasn’t been going your way. This is obviously not something you should do for the rest of your life, but don’t be afraid to take a day here and there to sit in your feelings and reflect on what has been going well and what can be improved. Today may not be your day, but tomorrow can be!

While these spouts of numbness may feel like the end of the world in the moment, they are a part of life that we should not feel ashamed of. Snapping out of a funk is not always the easiest or best thing for us in the moment. When these funks come along – and they will come along – reflect on your life, listen to what your body and mind are trying to tell you, and go from there. It could be as simple as taking a shower or as mundane as taking the day to sit in bed and do absolutely nothing, but whatever it may be, know that you are going to be okay.

Hi my name is Caroline and I am super excited to be joining Her Campus as a writer this year!
HC Queen's U contributor