This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

When I was in grade nine I used to wear sweatpants to my classes. I felt lazy and wanted to be comfortable, but what does comfort within the context of fashion mean? Most people think of physical comfort, but there’s emotional comfort you can gain from being confident in your clothing too. Since then my dressing habits have changed drastically, I would not be caught dead going to my seminars wearing anything resembling sweatpants. I dress to impress and there is no shame in that, just as there’s no shame in wearing what you’re comfortable in. What does any of this have to do with mental health? 

I was diagnosed with manic depressive disorder also referred to as borderline bipolar disorder which has had a pretty big impact on my life and in all honesty, I am still learning how to manage it. I’m a high functioning person who struggles with mental health so I’m able to get myself out of bed and onto campus most days. I’ve learned that not only sticking to a routine helps me to accomplish this but allowing myself to feel confident in my clothing choices. When I get dressed for the day my mood has a huge impact on what I wear and vice versa. I never let my mood impact what I wear in a negative way; I won’t give in and let my depression choose sweatpants. Allowing myself to wear clothing that takes away my confidence induces a lot of my anxiety. Finding the clothing that you’re most confident in is important, it allows you to go about your day knowing that you’re showing your true self on the outside. Many people may say that allowing what you wear to control your confidence will make your anxiety worse, but on the contrary, I believe that revealing your true self to others through clothing allows you to be yourself around anyone you meet, it gives you the confidence you need so that you don’t feel like you have to overcompensate. You’re showing who you are and there is so much confidence in just that alone. 

People who struggle with mental health issues know that you can slowly feel as though you are losing control over major parts of yourself, you can no longer enjoy the things you once loved. Through clothing, I have regained control over myself, I can suddenly give myself the confidence I need to go and speak with my professors and peers, I no longer feel lesser than them. Most importantly, dressing up regardless of how I may be feeling silences that tiny voice of self-doubt that is constantly telling me I’m not good enough. Allowing myself to dress better than I feel has helped me get through some very dark moments, and dressing better doesn’t have to be difficult. If I woke up and that voice of self-doubt was particularly loud I might be tempted to throw on a hoodie and leggings and try to hide behind my clothes, but if I wanted to elevate that look so that I can feel more confident I might change that hoodie to a long sweater to hide the leggings and some tall boots. A look like this is still comfortable and easy but it looks like you tried harder than you did. Are you walking out of the house in a t-shirt and sweats? Maybe try jeans with it instead, simple changes like this can make you feel more put together.  A look like this might not have you walking down the red carpet but it allows room for confidence within the clothing, you can stand out rather than hiding behind your depression. Another trick is to add jewelry to your look, anyone looks like they’ve put effort into their look with a couple of layered necklaces, statement rings or earrings. 

In high school, a friend told me that her motto for getting dressed in the morning was “look good, feel good, do good” and although it may not be grammatically correct it is a motto that I now live by. I’m not saying that feeling good in what you choose to wear is going to heel you instantly, it won’t; but it will help you to get through your day, one step at a time. If I feel good in what I’m wearing then nothing can get in my way, and I can squash my depression and anxiety with my favourite pair of heels (at least for the day). 

Photo by Maggie Whitmore

Maggie Whitmore

Queen's U '20

Is a fourth-year student at Queen's University studying Art History with a minor in Global Development. When she's not reading a massive old book in the corner of the library you can find her in a thrift store (any thrift store) or with her little cavalier named Ivy.
HC Queen's U contributor