Opinion: Using the new food guide to choose your next meals at Lenny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

What’s nice about the new food guide is that it’s more inclusive of cultures that don’t eat meat or dairy, or that have other food requirements. The 2019 guide gives us an image of an “ideal” plate, with one half containing vegetables and fruits, one quarter containing protein foods and the other quarter containing whole grain foods. The old recommendation of having a glass of milk on the side is now substituted with water instead!

I think the food guide lessens the stigma around foods that fall outside of meat-centred diets, like plant-based proteins and nutritious vegetables. Since viewing the new guide, I’ve upped my fruit and vegetable intake and have been more mindful of the processed foods in my diet.

The next time you go to Lenny, or the grocery store, be sure to reach for:

• ¼ plate of:

• whole grains foods: brown rice, whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, popcorn, etc

• ¼ plate of:

• protein: nuts (peanuts, walnuts), chickpeas, kidney beans, tofu, chicken, beef, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin), etc

• ½ a plate of:

• Veggies: Spinach, sweet potato, zucchini, sweet peas, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, etc

• Fruit: Berries, apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, etc

For more information on the food guide and other government health recommendations, visit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canada-food-guide/resources/resources-download.html

Happy eating!

Berenda Sayadof

Queen's U '19

Berenda is a fourth year Biology student at Queen's University and has a passion for free-style writing and a knack for binge-watching Netflix shows. Besides her love for pursuing a career in Global Health, she loves to paint and shamelessly order takeout with her friends. "Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things" ~ Ray Bradbury