This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Our mental health is an important aspect of who we are. Thankfully, in recent years, there has been an increased awareness surrounding mental health, such as ways to cope, recognize signs in ourselves and others, and resources to seek help. With more knowledge available about mental health, we realize it’s largely out of our control and that there needs to be patience surrounding it. However, there’s still more information that needs to be learned in order to completely eliminate the stigma that continues to surround mental health. In light of this, there are many ways we can try to help ourselves, and our family and friends, who are struggling and learning to cope with mental health. 

It’s Difficult to Talk Without Financial Support.  

It can be expensive to talk to a mental health professional when you don’t have the coverage or financial means to do so. Thus, how is a person able to become mentally healthy, when they’re not able to receive the proper support? Affordable health care is vital, however how can we advocate for this as students? When it comes to voting in student government elections, look to the candidates who prioritize resources on campus like the peer support centre, which can be found in the JDUC, and improving the on-campus walk-in clinic. No one’s mental health should suffer due to lack of funding.

Golden piggy bank
Pixabay - Quince Media

Let’s Begin to Embrace Our Mental Health as Opposed to Fighting It. 

It can be easy to quickly beat down parts of ourselves as a way to cope. However, our mental health, whether you suffer from it or not, is a part of us. It would be exhausting to be in a constant battle of trying to compact or ignore an element of who you are. Thus, it’s time to start rebranding how we live with our mental health, because that’s what we’re doing–living with mental health. We need to begin a trend of having a greater acceptance of our mental health and break down the stigma surrounding it. Let’s embrace our mental health as part of who we are and not act as if it’s a separate factor.

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

Remember to Be Cautious of the Language We Use.

Words are powerful and what you say does matter. We need to be aware of our choice of words and how phrases, such as “That’s so depressing”, are harmful and stigmatizing. Words not only influence our own thoughts and feelings, but those of others too. The words we choose can have a major impact on how mental health is perceived and for individuals diagnosed with a mental illness. At the end of the day, words can truly do more damage than you could ever know- remember to be mindful of the impact of your words.

Three women talking and laughing on the wooden bench next to the tulip flower field
Priscilla Du Preez

Mental Health is a Continuum. 

1. Everyone has mental health. 

2. Mental health is a continuum. 

3. Everyone within this continuum deserves to be supported.

Nothing should prevent someone from seeking a diagnosis, or from reaching out for help to receive support. Everyone deserves to be supported, whether they are diagnosed with a mental illness or not, and should know that their mental health is worth taking care of.

Smiling woman wearing flower crown
Photo by Autumn Goodman on Unsplash

Mental Health is a Journey.

Mental health can be a challenging journey. Often people don’t respond to challenges in the same way, so one treatment plan may work for one and not for another. Everyone deserves to be given the space and time to figure out what works best for them. Furthermore, there’s no place for judgment during this process. We are all doing our best and things can take time. Remember to be patient about others’ mental health, as well as your own.

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor