stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Things To Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As exams come to a halt, we are finally approaching the time of the year we’ve all been longing for. A time when we can just watch TV for hours on end, and eat ice cream straight out from the jug. Summer is finally here! Like many university students, you’ll most likely be dedicating the next four months to making some serious cash (for those terrifying student loans). However, if you find yourself getting bored of the usual routine and itching to try something new, here are five things to do this summer to keep you healthy and active.

1. Attend Yoga Classes

Whether it’s following Jillian Michaels’ online yoga videos on your living room floor or attending classes at your local gym, yoga is definitely worth the effort. It has been proven to promote stronger bones, lower blood pressure, and improve the flow of criticial brain functions. Caring for your body is one of the most important things you can do, and starting a regular yoga routine is a fantastic beginners’ landing point. However, there are also many activties you can pick up if stretching on a matt is really not your thing. Some of my own favourite summer sports and activities include swimming, biking, and hiking in nearby rivines. Take full advantage of the sunlight and warm weather while you can. 

2. Learn to Cook

Personally, I have made it a mission to learn how to cook this summer. If you ask me, I would say most college students would eat just about ANYTHING. A Kit Kat bar for breakfast, instant noodles for lunch, and a baked potatoe for dinner? Belive it or not, it’s a pretty common meal plan. But don’t forget, you are, infact, capable of making delicious and nutrious meals (surprising, I know). Sometimes we forget how easy it is to just settle for the simplest options. I would suggest going to your local bookstore this summer and seeking out those recipe books that are hidden behind the shelves. They are often thrown in the sales section of Chapters or Indigo, waiting to be brought home by its rightful owners. Even online cataglogues and websites such as Food Gawker and All Recipes have quite the selection of dishes to choose from. However, the best way to learn how to cook a home made meal is from your parents and family. Next time before dinner, offer to help prepare some entrees. This way, not only will you prevent yourself from starvation in the new school year, but you’ll also get those nutrients that are much needed to achieve a balanced lifestyle. 

3. Catch up on Movies

I definitely have not had a chance to watch all the movies on my bucket list during this school year. With no more assignments, tests, or quizzes, why not sit on your couch for a few hours and enjoy your favourite films? Sometimes you need to just get lazy, eat popcorn, and unwind. Let’s be honest, nobody wants to say that their favourite hobby is watching TV, but if I calculate the amount of time I spend watching TV, it probably surpasses my number of hours at the gym (guilty confession time). I know I’m not alone on this one!

4. Go Travel

Now I’m not saying that you must jump on the next flight to South Africa, but if you do get an opportunity to step outside the house for a few days it wouldn’t be a bad idea. I personally love to travel and go to new places. It’s not about where you go, but more about what you see, experience, and learn. Every community has its own personality, and I love to learn about the quirks of each one. Why not plan a road trip with your friends? Use the summer time to really find yourself, make some memories, and embark on a journey. 

5. Volunteer!

People often think volunteering means going to the Salvation Army and sorting food, or to a clothing donation drive and organizaing its inventory. But really, volunteering is just about giving and helping others in any shape or form. You can volunteer by mowing your neighbour’s lawn while doing your own, and trust me, it will make their day (speaking from experience, love my neighbours). You can even volunteer by offering to babysit your niece while their parents celebrate their three year anniversary. I always like to think of volunteering as a win-win situation. The feeling of doing some kind is often just as rewarding as being on the receiving end.