This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It was a beautiful day in the summer of 2019. With a book in hand, I looked around me. The sun was beaming and the people passing me by had smiles that were contagious. I sipped my coffee as I looked around. I felt at ease and became overwhelmed with happiness. A true sense of joy. 

woman reading book on dock
Photo by Bethany Laird from Unsplash

And just like that, I realized something. For weeks, then I had felt at peace. Complete inner peace. I would wake up in the morning, regardless of how much sleep I got, and feel happy and energized. I genuinely felt proud of myself in all circumstances, something that does not happen to me often. I was calm, yet elated, by my friendships and experiences. When I was by myself, I didn’t feel alone. When in a group, I didn’t feel lost in the crowd. When I spoke, I felt heard. It was a time in my life similar to a daydream. I had travelled that summer and had experiences I could never forget. It was the first time in my life that I felt truly content with myself. I was in a complete state of inner peace. A feeling that I never felt in my life except during that time. A sense of pride in my individuality, but motivated to continue on and improve myself. A sense of happiness in my interactions and composure. A true admiration in my sense of self. 

woman meditating outside
Photo by Omid Arman from Unsplash

I think about that time a lot, especially now. I can easily attest that I don’t still feel that way, or at least not as often. But I do remind myself of that time a lot. A time which I never plan to forget, and a state in which I continue to chase. I write this in hope of reminding you (and myself!) that good times are a head, even if it doesn’t feel like it. That true sense of peace I felt that summer is something that I look forward to. Even if it means I have to wait a few more years to get there again, the quest is just as important. 

Emily Nicaso

Queen's U '24

My name is Emily Nicaso and I am a first-year student at Queen's University. I love the arts and am passionate about espresso and sitcoms.
HC Queen's U contributor