3 Healthy Snack Ideas for When Those Late-Night Cravings Hit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

There’s something almost comforting about the stereotype of University students eating unhealthily — it seems like an excuse just to tuck into something greasy or sweet because, well, don’t we deserve it sometimes?! With all the stressors that can come along with University life — schoolwork, exams, even relationships — it can be tempting just to snack on whatever’s easiest, especially when it’s 11:30 pm and that French paper due at midnight is still not finished (we’ve all been there). While junk food can hit the spot in the moment and satisfy those cravings, it’s important to stick to a well-balanced diet to help feel your best, both physically and mentally. I have good news for you: those quick and yummy snacks you’re craving can also help fuel your body with nutrients — you just have to get a little creative. Here are three fast and healthy snack ideas to fill you up for when you’re tempted to just rip open a bag of chips:

1. Decked-Out Apple Slices

Okay, hold up — I know you’re about to yawn when you see the words “apple slices” but these are one of my go-to snack ideas when decked out with delicious toppings, especially for fall. Simply thinly slice an apple into and spread out the slices onto a plate. Top with a drizzle of your favourite nut butter (my favourites are almond and peanut butter), shake on some cinnamon or pumpkin spice and sprinkle on some raisins, chocolate chips, walnuts, cranberries, or anything that takes your fancy and enjoy! This is one of my favourites because you can customize it to however you like best.

2. Toaster Pizza

A quick option for when you’re craving something savoury! Use a broiler if you have a gas stove (this will make it crispier), but you can definitely do this in a microwave too. Simply take a slice or two of sprouted grain bread (I find it works best when the bread is really thinly sliced) and toast in your toaster. Once it’s done, place it on a baking tray, spread on some marinara or pizza sauce, sprinkle on some mozzarella, and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes. I like to stick to just cheese but feel free to add any other fancy pizza toppings you like!

3. Rainbow Veggie Plate and Hummus

I feel like veggies are super underrated as a snack idea. They’re delicious, refreshing and can be really satisfying, especially when paired with a dip! To make the rainbow, spread out some cucumber, carrots, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chopped-up radish and sugar snap peas onto a plate. Dip the veggies in hummus with a drizzle of hot sauce and some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top (it adds a cheesy flavour!). Again, this is totally customizable to your preferences.

Overall, while it can be tempting just to grab that super salty or sugary food as an easy snack, you’ll feel so much better fueling your body with the nutrients it needs to be successful. When you start to get creative with your snack ideas, you won’t even miss that chocolate bar in your cupboard!

Sabrina Fielding

Queen's U '21

Sabrina Fielding is a third-year Con-Ed student at Queen's University, majoring in French. Some of her passions include writing, music, languages, exploring new places, and arguing about what makes the perfect chocolate chip cookie.